[OFFICIAL] Anime Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by chocobo, Dec 4, 2011.

1. #1 chocobo, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
    I'm fully aware that there are a couple of anime threads present on GC, but none of them are really suitable for pure recommendations. Nor do they offer the large list I've put together for the sake of this thread.

So if you're looking for a new anime to watch or just looking to dive into the medium, I've compiled the most recommended and well received anime mentioned on Grasscity from new, to old, and all the way to recommended movies. I'm also sharing links of places where you can watch anime and get the latest information.

Feel free to make suggestions about what people should watch. If the series are repeated enough, I'll add them to this main list. Also, if you're just looking to discuss series you're watching, want to watch, or have watched in the past, head over to the Anime Appreciation Thread which I'll have linked directly below this. Many discuss Manga as well in the thread, so if that's your thing, definitely head on over.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/television/803882-[official]-anime-appreciation-thread.html

2. Here's the list of Studio Ghibli films I promised:

3. Nice list! Glad to see you have a ton of Studio Ghibli films :D I've seen about 75% of the modern anime and more than a few from all of the other lists.

4. #4 Vicious, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
    Great list, good idea to keep it as a separate thread. Looking forward to being able to help people out.

I feel like i've hyped it up so much but it's well deserved. For this season I can't recommend Fate/Zero enough. It's near perfect.

5. #5 Grimm420, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    i'd like to add

beck
    chobots
    full metal panic
    hellsing
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Seto no Hanayome
    Summer Wars - movie
    Wolf's Rain
    Sword of the Stranger - movie
    Gin'iro no Kami no Agito/Origin: Spirits of the Past - movie. very beauiful and interesting story

6. Summer Wars is already in the movie list. I'm seconding Host Club. So if one more person deems it list worthy, I'll add it in.

7. serial experiments lain
    Texhnolyze
    Haibane Renmei

8. I'll third that ;)

9. My favorites are:

Samurai 7
    Trigun
    gundam wing/seed
    full metal alchemist
    full metal panic
    black lagoon
    samurai champloo
    naruto
    bleach
    fruits basket
    Hellsing
    I even have to admit back in their hayday I enjoyed pokemon and digimon lol and of coarse dragon ball and dragon ball Z, hated GT

Anyone else seen Grave of the fireflies? very sad but an amazing watch.

10. #10 Yagyujubei, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
    other good shows not listed

Ghost in the Shell-sci-fi/action
    Azumanga Daioh-comedy/schooll ife
    Gantz-sci-fi/action/mature
    Noir-action
    R.O.D Tv- comedy/action
    High School of the Dead- horror/action
    Claymore-action/fantasy
    Noribito- Action
    Honey & Clover- romance/comedy
    his & hers circumstances (Kare Kano)- romance/comedy
    fushigi yuugi-action/romance
    Love Hina- romance/comedy/harem
    Eureka 7- sci-fi/action/romance
    GTO- Comedy/action
    Initial D- racing/comedy
    Nadia:Secret of blue water- action/romance
    Slam Dunk- sports/comedy

11. You should add Voices of a Distant Star and Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below. Both are by Makoto Shinkai and they are both Drama's/Romance. I would just personally recommend them if you liked 5cm/s.

12. I have an extra guest pass from crunchyroll if anyone wants to give it a shot?

13. yeah I'll try it.

14. CR is pretty good. They're taking down Steins;Gate at the end of the month, I recommend you check it out, Fate/Zero is amazing too. They also have Gundam Wing, Zeta, Fairy Tail and all of Hayate no Gotoku. It's nice to be able to stream 720p.

I have a bunch of guest passes too if anyone wants them.

15. I'll take one since you're offering. :smoke:

I've been watching K-ON! and Denpa Onna To Seishun Otoko. Entertaining to say the least. I really like the characters in K-ON!

Maken Ki! kinda fell off... story is pretty meh. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is great, though. Can't really fault it for anything right now - looking forward to new episodes.

16. I really liked the craziness of Denpa Onna Seishun Otoko. I hate K-ON on though. As a fan of slice of life and the like, I was surprised, but it was just way too happy and annoying for me. I couldn't find one character that I could relate to.

17. [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. Only seen the first couple episodes but I REALLY like this one so far

18. Yeah I liked it at first too. But then again everytime I would watch it I was either blazed or drunk :laughing: Whenever I watched it sober it reminded me of yugioh too much :(