Odor Control for a closet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by moltar512, Mar 23, 2005.

1. I have about 18 plants under two lights in a 2 by 4 closet
    They are about a month and a half old and some are doing down right awesome.

however, smell is starting to become a problem.
    It's not overpowering... yet
    heck, it's barely noticable... for now

I was looking at some of my options on www.overgrow.com
    Ozone is out of the question, i think.. too dangerous, especially for a closet in my apartment (i live alone)

the carbon filters that you make yourself seem viable, but still that may be overkill and i'm still not quite sure how they work

I was looking at some of the kind you buy at walmart, and was thinking maybe that could work. They have hepa filtered ones with a carbon screen that sell for like 30 bucks.. i think that's what i need. If I can't do the job with one, then two.

What do you think?

2. no one has a suggestion?

come on.. it's really starting to stink!

my closet is about 2 by 4, with about 18 plants in 5 inch pots. We did it like that so we when kill the males we'll still have a good number of females

they are about 13 inches now, and we are going to let them get 2 feet before we induce flowering, because in flowering they will grow another 7 or so inches

But they are really starting to smell now, and we need to nip it in the bud now before it gets too out of control

does ANYONE have ANY suggestion?

if it will illicit a response, i'll post pics of the grow, but i don't want to because i don't have a good place to host

3. Carbon scrubber. Nothing is too overkill when it comes to the safety of your freedom.

What you'll want to do is make one, and buy a squirrel cage fan that will clear your grow room of stagnent air 2 to 3 times a minute.

Read this:
    http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1443

If you can't afford a carbon scrubber, check this link

http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1556

4. Hello moltar512,

Well you have 18 plants? In 5inch pots? Half of them are going down the drain due to being males. So 1/2 the smell will go away :) But...when you start to flower its gonna stink when they put on some weight. But first before you can do that...you should probably transplant to bigger pots...try to put them in atleast 3gallon buckets, 5gallons if can, but I know space is a problem sometimes. But really...make sure to get em outta those tiny pots if you want to flower. :) Otherwise yeild will be very very small.

As for smell problems you might want to try negative ion generators/Ionizers. The NIG's or Ionizers work by putting out thousands if not billions of negative ions and attach themselves to contaminates and allergens, which are positively-charged. The pollutants in the air are now to heavy to "float" in the air and fall to the ground, thus away from your nose :)<small>

A quick search on google will give you more information and you can find sites that sell them. Be sure to get one the right size for your closet.
    </small><small></small>

5. yeah def. transplant into larger pots...

+ what type of lights are you using?

personally I'd go with a small adjustable ozone generator... ozone beats the shit out of any other form of odor control... it totally eliminates odors, and never needs a filter change... its worth the extra money....

6. Ummm, I beleive your underestimating how much these these plants are going to stretch when you flower them. MJ commonly doubles, even triples in size when they begin flowering.

7. Any of the above methods will remove unwanted odors, depends on your budget as to which you prefer. Ozone generator is great but DO NOT run it all the time, it is dangerous.

Carbon scrubber basically sucks air through activated carbon (same used in fish tank filters) which removes any smells. Just change carbon as needed.

Gg