octane in gas effect MPG?

Discussion in 'General' started by kbubb91, Oct 10, 2011.

1. im curious, i have a rav4 2008. could buying the 93 octane get me more power and mpg over the regular 87. will it do anything at all or is it a waste of 30 cents a gallon.
    3.49 regular
    3.79 for ultra 93

2. did the research no, unless your car is designed to run on high octane

3. They only time you should buy high octane, is if you have a turbo, because an unmodded engine just can't take advantage of the higher octane

4. the ethanol in gas is horrible for motors to. so if you store your car get all the gas out of it.

5. ethanol, well the 93 octane i dont think contains ethanol so i could be getting a litte mpg there like 1 mpg

6. all gasoline contains ethanol that is sold in the u s of a. Only use the gasoline recommended by the manufacturers. Using to high of an octane in a car made for 87 octane will funk up the engine.

7. Not to mention your rav4 was tuned and made to run on 87, not 93. That is all.

8. My car says right on the inside of the gas flap *premium fuel only*:smoke:

93 burns way cleaner and contains no ethanol. Worth the few extra cents.

9. #10 kbubb91, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
    well i just got back from driving and the accel feels faster

10. all fuel contains ethanol lol. It doesnt burn cleaner either, every type of octane has fuel cleaner additives, which help clean out the gunk inside your cylinders and your engine during lifetime of the car.

Unless your car requires 93 or u modded it and have a new tune for a higher octane setting, ur just wasting money.

11. 93 does contain ethanol. the only place you will find non ethanol gas is some marinas because they are the only ones that really realize how bad it is for motors.

12. placebo effect. you were hoping and expecting it to be faster. like others have stated, unless your engine is tuned to run 93, you will not gain any performance from running a 93 on an engine tuned for 87.