Occupy Wall Street Lesson?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by AdamM, Oct 16, 2011.

1. I don't know if a thread like this
    has already been posted. I tried looking.

This occupy wall street thing has been all over the news.

People are fed up with the corporate oligarchy that runs
    this country.

I mean these are protests unlike anything seen before in recent times in
    the U.S.

Why has nothing like this been done for the legalization movement?

I mean cmon!! Are potheads truly that apathetic? Are we too young
    and politically uninclined to do anything about it?

I mean these wall street protests have sparked reactions all throughout
    the world. Leaders from dozens of different countries have made
    statements about it. Such countries include Russia, North Korea, Canada,
    France, Iran, Venezuela, Poland, Germany, Japan and many others.

The president of the U.S. has taken note, so have many prominent
    politicians.

Why can't something like this be done for pot on this scale? Are we
    truly that pathetic? I mean we have been fighting for legalization for decades
    and not once have we ever made so much noise as a bunch of people
    who got fed up within the last several years.

And for many pot-smokers, we are trying to fight for an issue that
    is extremely passionate and personal, and even spiritual to us. Yet still nothing.

I think if a bunch of folks with little or no official organization or leadership can get together and make a whole lot of noise in such short notice, we could have done
    MUCH better eons ago.

To me, this just illustrates how pathetic and impotent the cannabis legalization movement truly is. It kind of makes me sad.

2. Please don't refer to marijuana as "pot" and i guess we are as our protests never get huge

3. Could you please explain your post? What you are referring to?

And what is wrong with calling it pot? That is what I have always
    called it.

I rather call it pot or cannabis.

Marijuana is actually a racist
    term used by the original cannabis prohibitionists who wanted to smear
    it is a drug of the mexicans.

I don't call it marijuana because it was used as a derogatory term
    for cannabis.

4. I think money's more important to most people than cannabis, but anyways myself and others I'm sure are eager to raise awareness... So how about getting creative and coming up with an idea to do that, and tell us about it so if it's any good people will decide to support it.

5. #5 staple, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    I think pro-marijuana people are much more tactful in expressing their grievances than the wall street protestors. They support NORML, go to conferences, write letters to politicians, etc. To me, that is much more strategic than taking to the streets, rioting, refusing to follow city ordinances, and creating an "us vs. them" mentality against anyone who makes more money than them. If marijuana users were to act the way the wall street protestors are, I think public opinion concerning marijuana would take a huge step backward.

6. You need to get your priorities straight son. The difference between weed legalization and people being able to eat and provide for their families are differentiated by about 10orders of magnitude. That is a bad post.

7. what saddens me is that everyone here doesn't do any research before they make claims and ask why can't the "pot community" do something like this?

well NORML and many other groups have been at 100s of the Occupy Rallies as well.

THIS IS OUR LEGALIZATION MOVEMENT. Many of the OWS are in support.

you should join and keep spreading the message.

8. OWS and the legalization movement are one in the same to me.

Think about it: If OWS achieves its goal of removing much of the financial corruptness out of politics, you'll see politicians receiving less donations from tobacco lobbyists that directly impact the voting on marijuana-related bills. Look at the big picture. We all know that in a more sincere and fair system, this PLANT would be legalized. If and when the OWS succeeds, legalization will happen very quickly, in my opinion.

9. Lol, please don't refer to cannabis as 'marijuana'.

10. That's a really good point. It's gone global with the general message of we the 99% are really fed up with the shit of the other 1%. That includes a lot of things, including our cannabis.

11. New banner for OWS:

Prohibit the DEA,,save billions!!!

12. I like to think everybody smokes.
    only a few are down for the cause though.

13. I think we have already won, in a certain fashion. Who ever has a difficult time getting weed? What about the quality? Are you really that afraid you will be arrested, just for use? What about the police exploitation if weed were legal? I'm sure every cop will have a swab kit to test if you have recently smoked if you are pulled over. Just some thoughts...

14. People that smoke aren't that concerned about legalizing it because whoever wants to smoke is going to do it regardless of whatever laws are in place....people that are concerned about the medicinal use are the same way....they are going to use it regardless what the Feds say.

I would love to see it legalized, but really rather it's legal or illegal I'll still continue to toke...so meh.