Obama = Bush 2.0

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bluntzilla420, Jun 9, 2013.

1. We aren't fighting Iraq and Afghanistan, we are more or less policing the people and fighting an enemy who won't go away. This war wouldn't have lasted 10 years if it was military vs. Military but we are trying to change their countries while we are there.

2. But yes I don't see our people rebelling.

3. If "that's just how it is" and you're going with the flow, you might as well be promoting the current system. That's the way I look at it.

4. In a word, yes.

A small percent will defect, but most will do what they're told.

Look back to Nazi Germany or any other genocide. Soldiers are trained not to question orders, and when they do, they're severely punished. Look at what is and has happened to Bradley Manning.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

Value judgements are subjective. Some people (including myself) value understanding of current events. Your valuation that this is less important than other subjects is also valid, though. 

6. I'm not going with the flow I'm saying that's how other people are. The minority can't win this fight.

7. #47 gotexans, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
    [quote name="Tripace" post="18184921" timestamp="1370739569"]

8. It is an important topic, but one that is extremely hard to change when so many people think differently and can't agree on anything. I just try to focus on things I can change around me by myself. I just try not to worry about politics.

9. damn bro way to make me paranoid :laughing:

Yes, it is a classic guerrilla force against a state force -- and guerrillas nearly always win. They "won't go away" because they live there. These wars are often measured in decades. The resistance has nothing to lose -- but the invading force has to contend with domestic politics and the various costs of continual war, so they usually pack up their toys and go home when the cost of being a colonial empire becomes too great.

Okay, well welcome to the politics section. I value knowledge and understanding. 

People study molecular biology without any hope or desire of changing it. Like I said, it's a difference in valuation. 

12. Ok

13. Sorry, that's just ridiculous to compare Nazi Germany or another genocide with what would happen during an American revolution. These genocides were racially-charged, or at the very least had a strong (but manipulative) sense of nationalism and morality behind them. The soldiers that carried out the genocides genuinely believed they were doing good by taking out the enemy. What would American soldiers be told that would make them take out their own people?

14. #54 BP to the DP, Jun 9, 2013
    Sorry, that's just ridiculous to compare Nazi Germany or another genocide with what would happen during an American revolution. These genocides were racially-charged, or at the very least had a strong (but manipulative) sense of nationalism and morality behind them. The soldiers that carried out the genocides genuinely believed they were doing good by taking out the enemy. What would American soldiers be told that would make them take out their own people?
    </blockquote>I'm sure good ol Uncle Sam would think of something. Anybody that rebelled would be labeled as domestic terrorists. People could be manipulated into having a false sense of nationalism and morality, and believing that these terrorists need to be stopped.

Again, you're forgetting that soldiers are trained to strictly follow orders. If soldiers who commit atrocities abroad and torture people, why is it any different if it's over here? The soldiers won't recognize anybody they know, they'll still be strangers.

I'm sure some would defect, but I really don't think it would be a significant amount.

15. #55 Scribbles510, Jun 9, 2013
    I'm not forgetting shit. Speculate all you want but I've asked people in the military what they would do, and many of them said they would not follow orders if it got to that point. Plus, once a few members defected, you don't think that would cause other members to question what they were doing a bit? Like I said though, guess all you want... Because that's all you're doing is guessing.

16. I'm not forgetting shit. Speculate all you want but I've asked people in the military what they would do, and many of them said they would not follow orders if it got to that point. Plus, once a few members defected, you don't think that would cause other members to question what they were doing a bit? Like I said though, guess all you want... Because that's all you're doing is guessing.

</blockquote>Relax dude, you haven't spoken to the entire military so you can't speak for everybody. Besides, saying =/= doing.

You're guessing just as much as I am, and until this actually happens we won't know what they'll do. Hopefully if/when this happens they'll do the right thing.

17. #57 Scribbles510, Jun 9, 2013
    I never claimed to be able to speak for the whole military. Get some reading comprehension before you tell me to relax. And take a statistics class so that you can learn about sampling. I'm guessing a whole hell of a lot less than you are. At least my conclusions are based on some sort of premises, you're literally pulling statements out of your ass, following an "I'm sure" or "I think".

18. #58 Lenny., Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    Damn what is with the hostilities.

My points have been made. This topic is messed up now, ttfn

19. I think peoples humanity would overtake them, and a significant portion of the soldiers in the military wouldnt harm innocents. Once people start seeing friends, family members, and loved ones being gunned down, their gonna change.

Not to mention there are 300+ million Americans and an equal amount of guns in circulation throughout the country.

How coincidental is it that Congress keeps trying to suppress gun rights.....

20. I never claimed to be able to speak for the whole military. Get some reading comprehension before you tell me to relax. And take a statistics class so that you can learn about sampling. I'm guessing a whole hell of a lot less than you are. At least my conclusions are based on some sort of premises, you're literally pulling statements out of your ass, following an "I'm sure" or "I think".

</blockquote>I've actually taken a stats class. The military has about 1.5 million active members so you'd need to ask hundreds of people in all sorts of locations to get even a decent representation.

Even then you would have to avoid common sampling and survey mistakes and make sure there is no bias. However this is getting very off topic, and that combined with your insults and the fact that I want to go to sleep make me not want to respond to you any more.

Good night.