Obama backs Bush: No rights for Bagram prisoners

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stoned budda, Feb 21, 2009.

1. http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20090221/Terror.Detainees/

Fri Feb 20, 7:48 PM EST
    The Obama administration, siding with the Bush White House, contended Friday that detainees in Afghanistan have no constitutional rights.
    In a two-sentence court filing, the Justice Department said it agreed that detainees at Bagram Airfield cannot use U.S. courts to challenge their detention. The filing shocked human rights attorneys.
    "The hope we all had in President Obama to lead us on a different path has not turned out as we'd hoped," said Tina Monshipour Foster, a human rights attorney representing a detainee at the Bagram Airfield. "We all expected better."

2. edit: nvm sorry

3. I thought the issue at Bagram was violence, not due process.

Or is the author just lumping the two things together?

4. Man humanitarians make me sick... Still Obama is a misleading piece of crap.

5. My thoughts exactly.

I never understood how non- u.s. citizens on foreign soil are protected under rights guaranteed under the u.s. constitution.

6. They don't didn't you read the first post?

7. Dude, we live in the America where we think we are the greatest country on the face of the earth who is above wrong doing.

Same bullshit line the french have been spewing for the past couple of centuries, we all think our shit doesn't stink, but guess what, our shit is rank.

There are much grander issues to worry about than if Muhammad is getting his proper amount of toilet paper and extra pb&j that by not doing so we are clearly breaking by the constitution and should act accordingly, because guess this is America, our shit don't stink.

/sarcasm

8. And WTF does that have to do with my statement? Dont quote me then answer questions i didnt ask.