OBAMA and 2009

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by CooperS191, Feb 11, 2009.

1. I am saying what I've said in many other posts and threads. He'll get the DEA to back off of medical raids and that's it. He has such a slew of problems to deal with that anything to do with legalization is soooo far down on his list it'll never see the light of day. All we can hope for is a change in emphasis by the DEA once he gets his people in place there. That is being realistic. What is unrealistic is expecting Congress or the President to do anything about legalization anytime at all soon.

2. Haha my bad, I misinterpreted your standings on the whole deal.

3. #23 dosboot, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
    Not me.

Haven't been that naive in a loooong time.

4. Honestly i feel we have a better chance of see marijuana becoming legal with obama in office the republicans are the ones who started the whole marijuana laws banning use after herbert hoover was placed in the office he appointed Harry J. Anslinger as the first commissioner of federal bureau of narcotics and began making political ads against marijuana saying that it was a gateway drug and that was the cause of manslaughter, rape, and suicide of course most of this went on after he had already introduced the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act which meant that in order to legally contain marijuana you needed a stamp but in order to get the stamp you had to show authorities your weed and since you had weed and didnt not already have a stamp you would be placed under arrest and harry j anslinger did not even produce one stamp. Just like the tax act he had against owning a machine gun which he introduced before the marijuana act as a test to see if it would work.

5. Obama isn't going to go out of his way to legalize, that's for sure. I think that what WILL happen is that state's will begin to widely decrim/accept MMJ. More and more people will realize the benefits of cannabis/hemp and will be more open to it. Eventually, every single state will have MMJ programs, and if all state's are in agreement, I'm certain the laws will be changed.

6. im getting so sick of reading your posts of this glorious revolution!! jesus just stop!

7. Obama will not make it legal, this much, I do know. It would "ruin" his reputation in politics, it would "ruin" the way people see him. He is not going to commit political suicide, right here and now.

8. Obama can't legalize crap anyway

Congress makes the laws

All Obama can do for us potentially is publicly support the cause, which he probably won't.

9. Correct. Congress has to pass every little fucking bill/policy ever created.

10. which is cool

because instead of Obama's views dictating the policies of the country it is us.

11. No one is willing to risk their political career for a...excuse me...THE plant, but at least Obama realizes how much money is wasted in the war against mj and is doing something about it.

12. make it decriminalized, thats the first step, get almost ever state to have it so you can't go to jail, only get fined, from there on, we will make progress.

13. Government gets nothing from decriminalization. That would be there last resort, after legalization and taxation!

They get no tax revenue, less money for prison systems, and there is still the drug cartel getting those drugs into the country.. I.e. mexico and the massive killings going on down there.

No one wins except the citizens.. and that my friend never happens.

14. Actually the big winners in decriminalization are the drug cartels and large commercial growers. It's a false victory for the citizenry.

15. Actually, I think the small scale growers who grow for personal smoke would benefit, and take away the profit motivation from the commercials. Imagine if it was a $100 fine to grow less than ten or twenty plants. There would be gardens popping up everywhere.

The FED's are not going to legalize anything right now. Politicians want one thing out of life, and that's to get re-elected. Legalization is political suicide. The climate is changing, but the only way it's going to happen is for a majority of states to de-crim it, then the feds will follow suit once it's socially acceptable. after it's decriminalized, we can talk about legalization.

16. he can PROPOSE some bill

but its up to the assholes to change the policy

which probably won't happen

unless we do a big sit-in

17. Obombya commander and cheif is sending more troops Afganistan. Need a job? He's got one for you. Same shit different color. 2009 the summer of nothing. You can do what ever you want, just don't have fun. When he says green economy, he means camouflage not cannabis. I hope not but...

18. I think that if he did leaglize it and that if he put so much of that science stuff hes bringing back it might be worth somthin, and started shipping it out that our like trillion dollar debt would begin to melt away

19. /Signed

"Decriminalized"...What an oxymoron.

"Decriminalized" repeat offenses can be 5 years in prison. A LONG fuggin time, in my book!

Make it legal...just like booze and cigarettes. It is proven to be far less harmful than either of those "Legalized" substances, anyway. :)

Here are some links...please pardon any redundancies:

http://www.mpp.org/states/california/news/ca/dea-continues-pot-raids-obama.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008731191_kerlikowske11m.html

Obama just tapped the Chief of Police from Seattle WA to oversee the drug policies for the U.S.. That is very good, as Seattle has a pretty liberal view of personal use, as I understand it, and maybe some of that open mindedness, and logic, may finally reach an area that needs it very badly. :)

That is definitely a step in the right direction, from what I read about the guy, anyway.

Add to that Obama's promise to look carefully at failed Federal Programs, and discontinue those that demonstrate an inability to produce results. :hello:

Here's to hoping that we can finally see cannabis and the people that use it at all levels treated with dignity and respect, instead of disdain and incarceration.

:smoking:

20. he did that because he probably thought it would be used against him. he has to pick his words very carefully so that he does not get verbally attacked for what he said.