O.Ds 2017 organic outdoor grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Organic_Disciple, Jul 12, 2017.

1. They are still looking great. All we can do as the grower is provide our girls with everything they need to the best of our ability, but at the end of the day nature runs the table specially outside. I have had my share of big beautiful girls be taking away from me in the final weeks because nature gave me the big middle finger, we can only run the show up to a certain point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Problem #1 GDP is a hungry hoe
    #2 carbonates are too high causing leaching of the nutrients

Cure: added 2 lbs of gypsum and giving fish hydroslyate in protein form along with some soluble kelp and they have darkened up allot. Yellowing has halted. So as of right now I'm in the clear. And everything looking great

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hey man now your back on GC. right when I figured out how to use IG haha. I've always used pretty small holes in my hillside since it is pure sandstone and a bitch to dig them any bigger. I think with 65s your challenge might be them not running out of nitrogen in flower. Especially growing organic. Your plants are pretty big for those pots. I've always dumped chicken shit on them during flower but I have read that feeding them nitrogen will inhibit flowering. Maybe some soil experts can say whether that is actually true or not.

4. Can you paint any of your surfaces, like fence? There is a product used for roofing made by "Henry" which is a white acrylic paint which about 90% reflective and also defuses the light based upon surface texture. It also will allow for moisture to pass through it so it is not trapped in the wood or whatever material you are using. It is made for outdoor use on roofs so holds up for may years vs light and moisture and is easy to clean up with a wet rag and touch up with a fresh coat of stained. I used it year's ago for my grow boxes, it is spending stuff but works pretty well. I found these pictures from then out of my old build out for grow cubes.
    Grow Cubes

I no longer have this box had to leave behind when moving, it was heavy (designed to hold alot of weight uptop) and took up to much space in trailer. I may eventually make another for storing clones but hide it in some random furniture, not because I need to just more for something to do.
    light.JPG shelf3.jpg SidebySide.JPG

5. I have had problems in the past running out of nitrogen in 65s but have adjusted my mix to provide for a greater buffer and then spot adjust with teas and top dress. Using fish ferts as OD has is an excellent way of adding back for short term and keeping things in check, with the added bonus it can be leached IF EVEN NEEDED near finish. Long term fixes (future grows) benifets from slow release N (longer to shorter crab/shrimp meal 12m, non steamed bone meal 9m, seed meals 6m, feather meal 4m) although higher soil temperatures mean faster break down of N. Most of those have a percentage that gets used up faster but then the remaining releases over time, and bigger the chunk the longer it takes. With organic methods the need for dropping the N content is not as much of an issue as fast acting salt based synth, although I would not recommend dumping some faster organic like fish ferts on at the end. Some of this can be controlled by altering the soil enivorment by making it more favorable to bacterial N, or fungal P. For example gypsum which is great for locking your pH in a safe neutral range specially going into flower, also creates an environment that most your fungal based microlife (which helps with phosphate uptake) responds well too. Gypsum makes up to 10% of the mix in mushroom growing because it helps offset the pH adjustments mycelium make to the soil to digest neuterients and also add sulfur which is a component to this process. Gypsum also will bind with salts in the soil with its sulfur component and allow them to leach out and free up negative ions in the medium for cation exchange (worth studying)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks for the reply that's a ton of good info. I,ll copy it and study it. I,m assuming that you dont agree that feeding with N during flower is bad. Ive never had issues doing it.

7. I only add if it is early on, at a certain point the plants really drop off the metabolism of N so excessive amounts floating arround in the plant do not get used and impact "flavor". Organic methods, specially the symbiotic relationships formed with fungi, are selective in uptake. Synth methods work because of the salt base making them easy to force into plants via osmosis, which removes the feedback pathways formed via symbiosis and will leave greater amounts of N in your plant material hence the reason for stricter feeding regiments and flushing. I personally feel that over the long term organics is less work once your soil is dialed in but it requires more fore thought and less reactionary methods. My girls this year have only been "fed" tea 3 times this year and it is more aimed at trying to influence the micro life. I will probably do a heavy topdressing of P components, and things to encourage fungal growth but that is only for transition.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #28 415north, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Yea I'm already growing organic. Been doing it for a while so i'm on the same page. I,ll have to get out my chemistry book to make sense of the N post. lol. biology was my favorite college class but forcing myself to get interested in soil to the extent that some on GC do. Thanks again for all the good info. One more thought, last year I started getting some yellowing of fan leaves in flower I bought some organic fish emulshion and when I tok the top off I forgot how much it smelled. I have every kind of digging critter that lives in nor cal like skunks raccons and possums. I deiced not to use it because I dint want my plants to get dug up over night. Don't know if that is an issue or not. I just stuck to chicken manure.

9. Yeah I messed up my cuts with lockout too. I changed my system over to bloom and when I fed my veggers they got messed up. Trying to recover them but I decided to go ahead take a few other cuts just in case.

Hydroponic Organic Science Stuff

10. Crab/shrimp meal can also be an issue if it has not had a chance to break down some in the soil. I have never had a cannabis plant dug up, but 2 years ago had about 25' out of one of my rows tomatos get destroyed because of it. It wasn't the end of the world because it was only half of one of my 4 rows but still sucks to lose about 200-300lbs @ $3 per lbs.

11. crazy story that I went through. I bought some of the most dank smelling sour kush clones ever that were in rockwool. I put the clones in the ground and the next day I found four clones torn out of the ground and laying next to my grow area. Believe it or not even though all the roots were torn off and the clones were nothing but stems I stuck them back in the holes and they survived. I think it might have been a cat, but anyways still the best smelling plants I have ever grown.

Thanks again for all the valuable info.

12. My cuts were all root rotted . Overwatered. also was using a new soil batch and it was not good ratios i guess and the feeding schedule got messed up.

Hydroponic Organic Science Stuff

13. #33 415north, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017