NYT: Marijuana Fuels a New Kitchen Culture

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by abracapocus, May 20, 2010.

1. Wow. Can you imagine the kind of munchies these guys and gals throw down with? :D

Chefs Using Marijuana Create a New Kitchen Culture - NYTimes.com

Roy Choi, who owns the fleet of Kogi Korean taco trucks in Los Angeles, likens the culinary culture that has grown up around marijuana to the one that rose up around the Grateful Dead years ago. Then, people who attended the band's shows got high and shared live music. Now, people get high and share delicious, inventive and accessible food.

“It's good music, maybe a little weed and really good times and great food that makes you feel good,” he said.

“We're not like Cypress Hill,” Mr. Choi said, referring to a rap group known for being outspoken advocates of pot use. “It's not like a campaign to make food out of hemp, but it is a culture. It's a vibe we have.”

Mr. Choi, who recently opened his first restaurant, Chego!, said he uses marijuana to keep his creativity up and to squeeze in quick breaks in the midst of 17-hour workdays.

“In the middle of a busy day, I'll smoke,” he said. “Then I'll go to the record store and hang out and clear my mind or pop into a matinee movie and then come back to the streets.”

2. Ah man i thought the article was about some dude who cooks with cannabis and you eat the food and get blasted...too bad its not.

3. The article was great, I think it's good idea to have good food and dining in such a way. I think now a days marijuana is getting popular and loosing it's image as a drug.

4. Yearn for the day when it's legalised and someone opens a smoking friendly establishment. Somewhere I can sit and enjoy some nice buds and have food brought to me just like the millions that indulge in the same thing with alcohol.