Nyc Republicans...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jay-bird, Jun 19, 2013.

1. #1 jay-bird, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    ...happen to be the lesser of two evils compared with the Democrats. I contacted a Republican NYC Councilman, who happens to be one of my local council members. I asked his legislative director about a controversial bill introduced in the city council... here it is...

http://changethenypd.org/about-community-safety-act#About_Legislation

The only part of the four parts of this bill that is sensible is number four.

Anyway, the legislative director told me that all republican council members of NYC are voting no. That's why I may be an independent centrist but I still go with Repubs more-so because they defend justice, traditional rights, morals, and respect, and most of all common sense (like I'v said not all the time but more-so than Dems)

I have family that are cops and this bill makes life worse for everybody except the criminals lol.

The Democratic mayoral candidates for the most part (yes even Christine Quinn and Adolfo Carrion) are not good material for NYC mayor even in the slightest. The more repubs in NYC, the more people and youth that actually live in the neighborhoods can find jobs and security. And better quality of culture.

2. #2 SmokinP, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
    As an unashamed statist it is very predictable that you would be upset at any law that made the police accountable to those who pay their wages.

I guess the old "To protect and serve" motto has been binned ?

What exactly do you have a problem with in....

\t 

3. Simple. I believe that the way cops do things now is more efficient. And better. And safer. And necessary.

Without having someone (commissioner of the department of investigation) oversee the NYPD. It has always been an eficient agency with it's police commissioner that answer to the mayor.

Without having our officers pussified.

4. Despite being called a statist at every turn. I agree with those three proposals.

If a department can not, or is unwilling, to maintain a professional bearing (and discipline), they need outside assistance. They are violating rights in the way they currently operate. :smoke:

5. We already have the Civilian Complaint Review Board, and court, that's enough.  We should not have laws that require cops to worry about offending somebody all day, every day.  This is not Colorado or West Virginia, it's NYC - the greatest city in the world, and the number one terrorist target in the country, if not the world.      

6. lol.. How's that kool aid taste? Believing in the left-right American paradigm is like believing in Santa Claus, i.e., after the age of 10 there's no longer an excuse.

And also one of the greatest offenders of rights violations, cronyism, and corruption. :smoke:

8. When you strive for the best, and you're continually under the threat of attack, there's going to be problems and conflicts.   However, If NYC was as bad as it's made out to be by some, no one would want to live or work here - which is certainly not the case.    

9. #9 garrison68, Jun 19, 2013
    They should bring back the neighborhood cops, guys who knew their beat and it's people.  It's becoming increasingly rare to see cops who are not in patrol cars. 

We also used to have a residency law, but it got scrapped.  Some NYC cops have never lived anywhere in the five boroughs, and this can present problems due to the lack of understanding regarding the people and culture they are hired to protect and serve.         

10. Pretty sad that some people dont like these new measures.

Cause protecting citizens against unlawful searches, unlawful profiling, reporting/reviewing/following up on police activities, and making police officers explain their actions is a waste, right?

Its a real shame that laws/legislature has to be passed to try and enforce some of these basic things. 

11. #11 garrison68, Jun 19, 2013
    I've never been searched by the police in NYC in my entire life of living here, and believe me I've been in some pretty sketchy situations at various times, lol.  I've never seen anybody searched or frisked except for one time, a guy in a bar who had a pistol in his jacket pocket.  

The problems are mostly caused by the gangs and drug dealers in the streets of some neighborhoods, many of whom carry weapons.  This is a quality of life issue that the residents must contend with, and the cops are caught in the middle.   Do we want to restrain the cops, and have crime go up, or give them some leeway and have a safer city?  I support the latter choice, and so do many of my fellow New Yorkers.      

Its a shame you support totalitarianism.

13. People who support the current practices of the nypd have nothing to fear while going to get a 1/2 gallon of Tampico at the bodega down the block for their kids other than sunburn

14. #14 jay-bird, Jun 20, 2013
    Listen guys... I challenge anyone to look up all the statistics they want in NYC for me. They will show that every time a mayor or police commissioner stepped in who was tougher on crime, the crime rates would go down.

Unlike Garrison, I HAVE been searched plenty of times with my gang of friends in the old Brooklyn neighborhoods. But guess what, I just didn't even care what the cops said. They lined me and my friends up, searched us all without warrants, called us all names, and none of us gave a fuck. Cuz we ain't pussies. We are willing to be inconvenienced for the better of the state and its people.

It's called discipline but to some of you guys it's staying in line for the man to shit down your throat. Oh well.

15. #15 jay-bird, Jun 20, 2013

Makes the city safer more efficiently.

Would make the city less safe because they involve reviewing and penalization by groups who otherwise would have no say and not be wasting time in the matter. Why would I want to be police commissioner if half of MY agenda as police commissioner was now compromised by these outside forces and whoever the fuck their consituents are?

16. #16 jay-bird, Jun 20, 2013
    o_O

I would say that the only things that need reporting/review are whether the police are doing a horrible job for the people (is crime increasing, decreasing, or lingering?) and if they are incarcerating/killing innocent people.

Any officers that have complaints filed agaist them should be investigated, as well as the alleged incidents involving them. The NYPD should fire officers that are proven/known/believed to have committed too many (or one big) offense(s).

The (Criminal) safety act would allow people to sue the NYPD outright, and bypass the usual methods of review and investigation there was previously. Great our courts were already clogged.

17. Lol.. I can't believe you're a real person. This stuff is gold.

18. Too much shit like this goes on. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/nyregion/justice-thomas-d-raffaele-says-police-officer-struck-him.html?ref=civiliancomplaintreviewboard

The officer acted hostile with zero reasoning behind his attack, then everyone there saw nothing.
    What happens during all those frisks when weed is found?
    How can you tolerate draconian actions based on no probable cause that often results in fines or worse?

I could (almost) understand acceptance if, and only if, the actions only resulted in the handling of offenders with illegal weaponry. :smoke:

19. #19 jay-bird, Jun 20, 2013
    LOL I read that story. Yeah It's times like that, that we are reminded that we need to hire and promote different officers. This officer should be questioned/fired by Ray Kelly or something.

But rather than reform our current legislations and officers, let's just pile on more partisan legislation that is worse for the city.

20. It's rather systemic when the other officers there were happy to have "not seen anything". What about found contraband during the stop and frisks? :smoke: