NY Times Cartoon

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sam_Spade, Feb 20, 2009.

1. It does seem to be a double standard from the whiner crowd. Personally, I like both comparisons. I just hope the president doesn't throw any shit at me.

2. Liberals see it as racist, Conservatives see it as a rejection of Congress since Pelosi did write the damn thing.

3. #4 pineapple skunk, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    [​IMG]

lololololol

EDIT

o wait

[​IMG]

4. #5 Medicine Al, Feb 20, 2009
    That's right, and white guys don't get to call black guys ni**gg**s either...even though the KKK says that this presidency makes up for slavery, and Jim Crow laws, and segregation, and hundreds of years of accumulative abuses of rights!

Oh it's so sad...the inequality of it all...the poor cartoonists!

Get a life, people, if you need this explained to you, then you are already comfortably numb, and headed for an intellectual implosion.

The monkey bush is compared to in the photos, is still alive, while the monkey Obama is being compared to, in the cartoon, has just been shot dead, by two white cops.

Now do you get it?

5. what no public outcry for this?

[​IMG]

or it must be that us white folk dont get offended

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hahaha :D

7. lol this planet is fucked up.

8. Remember this one?

[​IMG]

9. Remember these.....just sayin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. #11 pineapple skunk, Feb 20, 2009
    you mean he ISN'T curious george? OOOOH well that makes sense now

• Like Like x 1
  11. Liberals are racist hypocrites. It's just as simple as that.

We've seen Bush portrayed as an ape for over eight years now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Whether it is was racist or not, it just wasnt really funny.

13. "Racist drivel", thats an echolalia if I've ever seen one.

Personally, the cartoon looks racist. Cops are prone to shooting black males, and coincidentally Obama is black and had some hand in the bailout bill. But Obama didn't write the bill, he was just part of the choir. They could have done better.

BTW, I live near Stamford, CT and I've seen the owner driving around with the chimp in her car several times. About 4 years ago I asked her "Whats the monkey in your car for?" and she replied "Whats that human in your car for?". I also know it is an ape, not a monkey. RIP. :smoke:

14. It's not racist that's for sure. The ones who think it's racist imply that monkeys are similar to blacks, well they are. Just as similar as they are to whites, Asians and Latinos. Evolution.

• Like Like x 1
  15. #17 sativamonk78, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    In all fairness, I think this is how America perceived Obama. I should know, I was one of the monkeys.

[​IMG]

YouTube - 2001 a space odyssey

Seriously though, I think they can make fun of Obama all they want, if the man can receive unfair praise, he can also warrant unfair criticism just like Curious George we used to have.

16. LOL.. it does look like obama

17. Wasn't it the Post that published that cartoon?

Whether the cartoon is offensive to you is really irrelevant. If it does, or does not, offend you then fine, have it your way. But if you can't understand why it might be offensive to some people, then you're just unlearned. Throughout American history there has been a reference to blacks as monkeys/apes. Combine that with the historic and current record police brutality and shootings aimed towards blacks(see Oakland BART), then I think you might have a better understanding as to why some folks are upset.

As far as me, I think I agree with an earlier post. They could have done better.

Here's some interesting excerpts from an '08 study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
    http://www.physorg.com/news123944737.html

18. Giving him special treatment on this one is idiotic, I disagree.

Nobody in America should be given special treatment, the only people who care about this are the people who find it offensive. It was a joke not meant in a racial connotation, get over yourselves.

All people look like monkeys because guess what, we came from monkeys. It isn't special to people of color. George Bush looks like a monkey, Obama looks like a monkey, I look like a monkey, you look like a monkey, lets all laugh.