NY Senate Dems to Consider Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by garrison68, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Newsday.com

NY Senate Dems to consider medical marijuana

April 20, 2009
    ALBANY, N.Y.

The movement to legalize medicinal marijuana is gaining momentum in New York, with a proposal to let some people grow their own or buy from a state-approved organization.

Sen. Thomas Duane of New York City is introducing the bill, which will have a matching version sponsored by Manhattan Assemblyman Richard Gottfried. The Democrat-led Assembly has passed similar measures in recent years, but the issue fizzled in the formerly Republican-led Senate.

Now Democrats have taken control the Senate and the issue could get some traction in that chamber. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith didn't immediately comment.

Gov. David Paterson's office also did not comment on the proposal Duane is set to release Tuesday.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...dicalmarijuana0420apr20,0,7877163,print.story

2. Let's get this shit started up

3. didnt realize sumone posted about the subject.
    fox 5 news spoke bout it briefly.
    My post in the "general" forum

we must continue to write & call the people who will be voting on the bill..
    so make sure you do so..

peace

4. go ny we can do it

5. People of NY write your representatives now!! You can find a list of them (and any state) with their contact information on NORML's website

6. Was wondering why this took a day or two to be post was just coming here to post. Man im sort of new to mj, but man o man wouldnt this be amazing. Both houses are dems so maybe just maybe. I just hope this doesnt take a long time to implement it.

On side note, i know its a bit early to ask this but lets say it passes and since i live in NY, I go get a license or whatever that card is, does my name get passed around on lists, like when employers ask the state for my status does the state tell them im a medical mj user? Or are we protected by like laws or rules?

7. Even if they did ask they couldn't keep you from getting a job just because you're a medical cannabis user.

8. Oh this is great news!

9. Still no word on this in the news lately, how exactly does the political process take, I mean before its killed/approved?

I just pray!

10. i believe i read somewhere today
    that they vote on the 26th