nutrient strength

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Joshua50187, Nov 13, 2008.

1. so i have been trying to start my first hydroponic bubble bucket grow for like a while now yet everytime i try my plants die of nutrient burn and in many of the hydro post on GC talk about a recipe or strength of the solution and i have read that its good to use 30 to 50 percent of the recommended doses but im using the GH Floraseries and the rumplebucket is the 30 to 50 percent strength solution a good idea also im using a mystery seed so i don't know so how does one approach the i don't know how strong to make the solution problem also is there a post on hydro for newbs

2. Even if you use a super diluted solution your plants will do great. With hydroponics it's always a good idea to under-fertilize and that's even more true with herbs. I'm assuming you don't own a nutrient meter. I have a few plants going in the veg cycle right now, the solution is at 550 ppm, less than the recommended strength, and those babies are thriving.

3. Are you ph testing your water? if not that is probly ur issue. It dosnt matter how much fert you give if its not ph`d

4. good to kno , i just finished building 2 10L bubbler buckets, with an elite802 bubbling them. my plants roots havent grown out the bottom of the net pots yet, so i havent tested them out, but i will be LIght on the NUTES at first...

Attached Files:

5. well the thing im wondering is what is the norm on hydro nutes for most plants yes i am ph testing and even though i don't have a nute meter i have a schedule of adding that would in theory work fine enough also is there any difference in harvesting in a hydro system

the recommended dose is 2.5 ml would be about .8 ml if used in a 30% ratio that just doesn't seem it would even workor sustain a plant for more then 3 days ant the most

where can one find a nute meter and what is the actual name of it

6. parts per million (PPM meter).... ebay or local hydro store.

7. i found it i guess but its called a tds metter or ec/cf/tds meter and i don't know $600 sound like way to much....

8. 600? i got one for 70$......

9. ok found one on ebay for like $20 but again the strength of the solution says 3.5 ml for every one liter i have a 5 gallon bucket so thats roughly 18.7 - 19 liters water so that would take 66.2 ml if my math is right i'd do a 40% strength so i would add 26.46 ml is this correct and does it sound like a good idea to do it like that but most of all how should i change the water do i wait a week test annd see where the ppm should be or what is a good ppm range to maintain i hear alot of different ideas about this and don't fully understand

10. Are you absolutely sure they are being burned? If your only using 30%-50% of the recommended strength for an extended period of time they could be dieing due to deficiencies, or a pH imbalance.

Also RO or filtered water may need supplements in order to give your girls everything they need...

NOTE: Your only supposed to use 30-50 in the beginning stages of the plants life.

11. well there dying cause a lot of things really mostly because of burning others cause i forget this or that cause of no clear and decisive instructions when i run into any kind of trouble or anything i mean i do soil grows all the time ph is perfect soil nutrients are great and easy to apply but its just doing the full on hydroponics that i just can't seem to get my shit str8 i have several books on it but again the confusion set in mostly cause of the whole do i change water and when and i don't know im so confused about so few things and they all really tie in together thst i don't know how to explain it it more the water/nutrients slash what do i do in this case blah blah. or what i like to call the wash/lather/rinse/repeat cycle

hey thats a good way ok so i got the bucket i have the water(wash) and the nutes(lather/conditioner) "i mix them in what ratios or strength?" then when do i either add more nutes or change the water with new nutes in it (rinse) and how do i effectively know when to repeat this whole process of ratios/water changing /nute adding tyraid

sorry if im not making myself clear on the questions i ask but its just the way i am and sorry if any confusion happens its only cause i am confused about how to word my questions

12. Chances are the "burn" your describing is indeed a PH issue. If you're using 30% to 50% nutrient strength it shouldn't screw them up as bad as a high PH will. They're right, you need a TDS and PH meter. You can go ghetto for like $50 or drop like $250 on a digital meter.

13. i was using 100% strength thats why the questions for the ratios and strength cause many people have told me thats too much your wasting and killing the plants so yeah and i do have a ph meter so like its the tds i have to worry about now so like whats the optimum rang for tds in a hydro system