nutrient solution for multiple plants in same res

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by mike827, May 17, 2007.

1. i've been reading about the optimal ppm nutrient solutions for plants in a hydro system but i'm confused. on the nutrients you buy, it tells you how much to mix with X amount of water. but is that for one plant? if i have two plants in one res would i double that (but wouldn't that cause nutrient problems) or do i just drain and refill twice as often?

any insight would be helpful, the more i search the more i confuse myself lol

do you all even suggest growing multiple plants in one reservoir? i was thinking 5 gal per plant, so two plants in a 10 gal rubbermaid

or should i just put each plant in its own bucket (i'm planning on DWC).

2. well, id guess that you have to mix it up like to bottle says, if your doing a DWC grow in a 10 gallon rubbermaid, youll need to mix a nute solution big enough for your resivore, do not double up on the nutes, rember that if your growing in a rubbermaid that any ph problems, nute problems, any problems are gonna take their toll on both plants, I have only done 1 hydro grow personaly and it turned out to be male, but the rubbermaid tub is something im gonna try next but until i know hydro fairly well, ill keep my girlies seperated.
    keep them green thumbs up.
    -doober

3. thanks for the tip, but i payed primo bills for "feminized" seeds so lets hope i dont have that problem :p. yeah i was weighing the pros and cons of having the plants in both buckets. but my major question is, if i have them in the same bucket, am i gonna have to drain and re-nute twice as often?

4. nah, id do it once a week, thats how i do it anyways, aand as always just watch the plants, monitor ph ec/tds/ppm and see what them bitches like.im hydro theyll let you know very fast.

5. From someone who has experience, quit a bit actually, you are best off using seperate reseviors for each plant, however, if your heart is set on a multi set-up. here is all you need to get it right a TDS meter and a pH meter. Start your seedlings out at 150-200 ppm(using .5 eC conversion factor) and then just listen to your plant. As for how often you will need to change your nutes, a plant will drink anywhere from a gallon to a gallon and a half of nutes during the height of flowering.

6. thanks for the advice, but im gonna try to follow the K.I.S.S. ideology and have decided on using two 5 gal bubble buckets.

check out the new grow room!