Nutrient Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kestralkane, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Ok so after doing a few soil grows ive decided to go hydroponic. Ive noticed that theres so many nutrient solutions for hydro and I was wondering a couple things. I know theres probably countless posts on this but thought i'd ask anyway.

1. Organic or inorganic?
    2. List of some brand names of good mixes
    3. Whats better for the veg period and whats better for flowering

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks blades and smoke on.

2. 1. It's really a matter of personal preference. If you have a pension for organics then go organic. If some chemicals in your grow don't bother you, go inorganic. Really a personal preference like I said.

2. Advanced Nutrients and General Hydroponics are two well respected brand names. They each have a three part system (Micro, Grow & Bloom). They can be used in various amounts throughout the different stages of the grow.

3. Go with the three part system. Really is the best way I have found to have complete control over your nutrients. As I said, different amounts of each will be used in different stages of growth.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

3. Thanks man that helped alot.

4. #4 kestralkane, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
    When you mean the 3 part system do you mean the entire line in the 3+ on advanced nutrients or do you mean 3 particular nutes.

sorry nm i get it now, god damn its expensive

5. General Hydro is much cheaper. Advanced Nutrients can be a little pricey. If used properly the nutes will last you several grows. So the cost isn't too bad when you think about it that way.

I forgot to ask if you are doing hydro or soil. You can also try Fox Farm. They have a great line of ferts too.

6. Its my first hydro grow. Ya I guess i'll check out general hydroponics I mean are advanced nutrients really that much better? If they are leaps and bounds better then I suppose it would be worth it.

7. They all have similar ingredients. I have grown with both Advanced and General. Although I have no scientific data to back it up, I am just more comfortable with the Advanced product. Like I said. No science behind it. Just my observation.

You can also look at Technoflora, Botanicare, Dutch Canna, Fox Farm, Phat, Roots... The list goes on. Try a google search and your head will probably spin.

Like I said though. I highly recommend both of the products I mentioned earlier. For the price GH is a really good bargain.

8. Well once again thanks man. Yeah I've been googling the last couple days and its really all just making my head hurt haha. I was wondering if itd be alright to just use the basic micro, vegging,and flowering nutrients and use the big bud bloom buster towards flowering. Also do you recommend their line of stuff for seedlings and clones? Hell sounds like I might as well get the whole line haha.

9. Organic or chem? depend on the hydro set up you are using. A DWC or NFT= no organics( you could but it is a lot of cleaning!) All other= organic no problems! I sue botincare CNS17 Grow because its only $30 for a gallon and works great. For bloom i use fox farm Tiger Bloom. Also use Superthrive the whole time except when flushing then use only pure water! hopes this helped:)

10. You can use organic nutrients with any kind of hydroponics provided they're high enough quality. It's just that most of the stuff out there isn't pure enough for that. I only know of one organic nutrient manufacturer that really makes it good enough to run through aeroponics, and that's Advanced Nutrients.

Their Iguana Juice is as clean in pumps and sprayers as any inorganic.

If you want to go inorganic, which I'd recommend, my favorite nutrient program is the Sensi 2-part that AN makes. It's as simple to use as any hydroponic nutrient and doesn't compromise unnecessarily with quality. I've grown with cheap stuff and I've grown with good stuff and in my opinion it's a hell of a lot easier to learn with the good stuff because if something is off you know it's a mistake you made rather than the nutrients just not working as well as they could.