Nutes for seedlings?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by reggie1387, May 9, 2019.

1. Hi guys.
    I’ve decided to grow this time in coco/perlite 70/30 mix. And I have a couple of question for you all. I’ve buffered my mix with calmag. I have some seedlings I started in grow cubes in soil in cups.

Can I just transfer the cube/seedling into the coco?

I use rain water to feed/water ppm 10-15ppm. I would need to add more calmag? Or just use tap water?

I grew in soil using General Hydroponics flora series last time and still have plenty left. 3 part series, calmag, florablend, armor si, koolbloom liquid and dry.
    Should I use these growing in coco or should I stick to the Lucas and other formulas?

I’ve started my seedlings under a little cheapo led light. Going to put them under a t5 2x 55w tube light. When I put them in coco. That should be ok for seedlings?

Attached Files:

2. This may help you out
    seedling.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seedlings don’t need much at that stage. In coco I usually use calmag and a sea weed extract turns out to be around 150-200 ppm tap water 30 ppm.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. My tap water is around 100-150ppm

5. I have read that first link. I was thinking bout feeding mine like that. But weren’t sure if Lucas was better. Whst do you feed your plants?
    Righto I’ll try my tap water. My water is 100-150ppm so I’ll have to check what my ppm is after I mix nutes with my tap water and then see what my rain water is with nutes.

6. I feed my plants 1/4 strength nutes daily from the day they sprout. If you use tap water it's a good possibility you won't need a calmag supplement. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I don't use tap water mine comes out at 250ppm. I've been using Canna coco and their full line of nutrients. They have a product called Canna start it's for seedlings and clones. it comes in about 180ppm

8. If you already have the Flora Trio, than you can either follow their three part instructions or use the Lucas formula with just Micro and Bloom. I'm personally a fan of the Lucas formula, but have not actually used the full trio. So I only have my own experience and trust in the research already done. I mix a 5 gal bucket at a time. First add silica, then calmag and then base nutes. pH that down to 5.8 and then add hydroguard.
    I also feed my seedlings from the day they sprout with 1/4 str. Then I step it up to 1/2 at two weeks, and full strength at 1 month. In flower I'll feed 2-3 times a day. Always to ~20% runoff

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

9. Thanks for the reply mate. I have used the trio before with good odds but have never used the Lucas Formula before and never grown in coco either. I have the Silica and calmag on hand. And hydrogaurd is that like rapid start from General Hydroponics?
    I have found this link and it uses silica, calmag,rapid start. And diamond nectar (humic acid) have you used this before? Grow Gear
    But doesn’t have any dosages I’m guessing they used the labels.
    What size pots do you grow in?

10. Hydroguard is a Bacillus bacteria that helps protect your roots and assists in the breakdown of organic materials, and increase nutrient availability. It's a Botanicare product. It's not nessecary, but I find it bennificial.
    I have not used any Humic Acid products, so I can't help you there. But, yes, follow the labels for silica, calmag, etc. One of the biggest differences between growing in soil and coco is feeding. Coco is all feed all the time, never just plain water.

• Agree Agree x 1