Nute burn with only 450 ppm?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by boss14, Feb 27, 2018.

1. So i see some yellowing on the tips of my leaves so i assume it’s the start of nute burn the thing is that the plant is pretty large for 450 ppm to burning the plant. I’m growing in a 5 gallon dwc using GH flora series in a 1:1:1 ratio. My pH is currently at 5.6
    IMG_1332.JPG IMG_1331.JPG IMG_1333.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. beautiful plant!! not sure about the nute burn as i havent had to deal with it myself but overwatering issues I find always start with yellowing at the tips! maybe another thing to look into

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 CBDBurner, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2018
    How strong is your light? That’s a nice lookin plant. How does your ph swing throughout the week?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Where are you getting your water from? Maybe to you your plant may look healthy, but to me it is showing that it has faced many rapid ph shifts / drifts in it life time. I don't know if GH flora series has ph buffers but just by looking your plant to me it doesn't look like it does. I would look at using some sort of ph stabilizing root supplement that will help you keep your ph from constantly drifting +/- if you plan on continuing the usage of GH flora series nutriments.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hey buddy im a hydro grower too. youre right about it being a bit big to be burnt of 450ppm. id be up to about 700 by then. best guess id say your ph is staying too level. gotta let it swing between 5.6-6.4 to let it absorb all the nutes better. if its staying the same then keep it at 6. theres something environmental stressing your leaves slightly aswell i think its humidity at first glance. should be around 60-65%ish just now. res temp around 22-25*c, tent temp 25-28*c. how do those figure compare? also are you using hydroguard, sm-90 or something similar? plant looks great though, just needs a little tweaking. is it photo or auto?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm running a 1000 watt HID and my pH normally swing around .5 - 1.0 every 2-3 days

7. Im getting my water from a filtered tap water which runs about 80 PPM. Yea i had some pH issues when it was younger but i think i have that under control now. I will look into a pH stabilizing root supplement. Any recommendations?

8. My pH rarely goes about 6.0. As the water gets sucked up by my plant the pH tends to decrease for me. My humidity is about 48% so i guess ill buy a humidifier to try and increase it. My temp is around 23*c. Im not using hyrdograud or anything for the roots. Yea this is my first grow so im still figuring everything out. Its a photo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Can't overwater with dwc mate as roots are suspended in water permenantly and air stones give the oxygen needed

• Like Like x 2
  10. How close is your light?

• Like Like x 1
  11. About 50 cm from the top of the plant

• Like Like x 1
  12. Could try moving it up a bit and see if it's just a bit of bleaching from the lights as none of the other growth looks to be affected and judging by the pic the leaves are toward the top of the plant?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. cant over water in any medium actually. its just a misinterpretation of lack of oxygen

14. right buddy couple more questions for you to answer then ill explain it all as best i can. pretty sure ive got it all sussed out now.

what exactly are you feeding them. i know about the 1:1:1 but what else?
    the lack of sm-90 or hydroguard is an extreme danger to your success here unless theres something else your using that acts the same way so list everything youre feeding in ml per litre please. ( im uk so gallons are no good lol)

is that plant still in veg? looks like it to me and if it is dont flip it till youve got this dialed in 100% cos youre not far off it and your yield will be so much better after a couple of tweeks here and there wich ill explain later. if youve flipped already i’ll just factor that in aswell dont worry

how much is she drinking a day in litres and how much does the ppm drop or raise per day?

and lastly, how much air are you pumping into that? do you know the litre per minuit volume of the pump or something to that effect? if not the wattage will do do and ill work it out. the amount of air going in makes a big difference in the nutrient uptake and feed strength requirements.

fuckin awesome effort though mate, my students are doing pretty well on their own now so would quite like to help you out and make sure you get over a half half kilo on your first go :)
    i had to move my grow to my mates so get withdrawls if i dont keep at it lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. So if you give to much water in soil your going to stop oxygen getting to roots because of how saturated it will be. I.E you have overwatered because you haven't gave just the right amount of water or not enough which would be underwatered. :Love-Plant:

• Like Like x 1
  17. sorry bud but youre still wrong lol. if you do manage to “over water” its because you havent provided enough aireation to your soil. its a media issue not a watering issue. theres a few guys on here that produce absolute monsters in soil that can prove this. by adding enough perylite or other such substances to the mix and having suitable drainage you can make it impossible to “over water”. if too much water was the actual problem then dwc would be impossible, as would hybrid hempy systems. im not being a bampot mate, just trying to enlighten.
    mix the soil better and you eliminate the problem.

18. #18 Spanish@rcher, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    right buddy, problem solved.
    im asuming you have ph up and down yeah? if not order them now lol. get a bottle of sm-90 aswell. it stops any nasty shit growing in the res. take a good look at the roots, give them a smell and a feel. she should be taking a lot more juice per day so i’ll bet you a quid theres some sort of gunge or weirdness of some nature building up on the root ball. sm-90 will treat it if there is and prevent any possibility of it happening otherwise. which will happen eventually. some get lucky and last a run or 2 without it but it is 100% garunteed to fuck your day up sooner or later. only £20 on amazon and it lasts forever. only need 0.3ml per litre of juice. think hydroguard might be cheaper but i use sm-90 so thats the one i vouch for.

in veg your ph should be rising as the water goes down. its not. thats because your giving it bloom nutes aswell. drop the bloom bottle and up the veg bottle to 30ml. double check the manufacturers recomendation for what to give the micro bottle and half it. aim for around 500ppm. never used those nutes so if its less than 500 just up it accordingly.
    im pretty sure that pump puts you into the “super charged” category so you’ll probably find that you need less nutrients than most folk.
    you want the ppm of the res to be dropping slightly inbetween top ups. ie if you start at 500, it should be 450-480 the next day. this means the plant is feeding properly and the strength is slightly too week, this is what you want. if the ppm rises at all then the feed is too strong. always try to keep it on the drop. doing this will ensure you never have any toxicity issues wich will damage the plant. deficit issues, wich cause much less damage are spotted by yellowing of the leaves. if the bottom of the plant goes yellow you up the grow bottle. if the tops go yellow you up the micro bottle. simple as that. you will never get any other issues as long as you stick to the ppm drop rule.

you dont need a humidifier, just close some flaps on the tent. if thats not enough then put a couple buckets of water in there. it will evapourate and ouiala :)
    gonna have to go do some stuff so ill be back in a couple hours to finish off

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for such a detailed in-depth response. Again i can’t thank you enough or let you know how much i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Ok so my local store has hydroguard or i could buy sm-90 online and wait like a week and half for it to get to me. Not sure getting the hydroguard immediately would be better or waiting and getting the sm-90. I will hold off on getting my nutrients back to 500ppm until i get one of those two products. But it does appear that i do have some grunge on my roots but nothing crazy. It’s more grungy towards the base of the stem.

20. no worries mate. i got spoon fed most of what i know by other people on sites like this so its nice to give back when i can. not many newbies try hydro as its thought of as complicated but its a piece of piss once you figure it out. that gungy stuff is bad news but iether of those products will sort it out pretty quickly. around 10 days most likely. youll see she starts drinking a hell of a lot more once its sorted.
    what else was i gonna say earlier...
    oh aye, trimming. most folk will tell you not to trim in veg. wich is true if your growing small plants in small pots. your growing pounders in hydro though so dont be shy to take those big leaves off to let more light into the middle of the plant. more light into the guts means it wiill grow a lot faster. when your doing it though, only take one leave per node. if you look, each node will have a leaf on iether side. if you take both of them off you’ll limit the growth within that node space. only take one off and you’ll do zero harm. i take a shopping bag worth off every week once they get to that size but start off lightly till you get a feel for it. your doing well with the lst, just make sure you keep everything as level and symmetrical as you can. she’ll go apeshit when you flip the lights to 12/12 so better shes proportioned the easier your life will be. if you need anything feel free to tag me or send a pm. im on here at some point every day