Nute burn at 300ppm?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by canttchtht, Mar 10, 2009.

1. #1 canttchtht, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    Hello GC, long time reader here with an issue on a G13 Labs WW. Although a PH of 5.5-6.0 has been maintained in a bubble bucket using distilled water I am seeing what looks like nute burn at only 300ppm. It started on the bottom leafs killing their edges and now appears even on new growth. I assumed the bottom leaves were giving their nutes to develop stronger roots but was obviously wrong. Roots look healthy. I have been battling some small bugs flying around but all of my other plants (soil) look healthy so I assume its the hydro setup itself. Could the bugs be targeting the hydro plant? This is using Bcuzz nutes under a 400W HPS 24/0.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That's not nute burn friend... that's her being hungry believe it or not. Up the nutez!

Also, are you using rockwool as a medium? If you are, make damn sure it's NOT getting wet from the bubblers....cause she looks a little dampened which is why I ask.

3. #3 canttchtht, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply Klutter, does 500ppm sound more suitable for a 2 week old plant? I was also suspecting a deficiency (probably calcium from the lack of such in distilled water). I will up the batch and let you know how things go.

Edit: Also, I am used peat moss cubes to start them in under the hydroton and maintain 2" from the water level to the bottom of the basket.

4. Oh wow - I completely overlooked the fact that you're using distilled water. Stop doing that. If it were me, I'd dump the rez immediately and refill with either RO water OR tap water if that's all I had. Gotta remember, Distilled water is NOT the same as RO water. For specifics of this I refer to google, but for our ladies - RO is what you're after. Second best might be bottled watered followed by tap water.

I also wouldnt focus on age as much as I would how the plant is acting. If she's starving at 2 weeks, well that fuck'n rocks doesnt it!!! She's a heavy feeder! Way better than having a plant burn at 200ppm ya know... :)

5. Sweet, I will dump the res and use different water. Looks like I will be drinking distilled water for a while (bought 20 gal:rolleyes:) Once again thank you for the kind words of advice. Will update on effects of R.O. water vs the distilled I was using.

6. UPDATE:

I believe that upping the nutes to 500ppm during the R.O conversion is burning her however I left her as she is hoping she will drink it and I will top off with clean water to dilute it as it goes or perhaps she is just adjusting the the increased nutes? 500ppm is really not that much (Bottle says keep between 700 and 1400 which puts me at 35%) Also, one leaf is starting to "Claw". Does tips pointing down surely mean nute burn? I think I need to urgently get ahold of some Cal-Mag and Epson so I can reduce the nutes to 250ppm and try to diagnose the deficiency. Anyone have words of advice?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Group:
    [​IMG]

7. Alright, after thinking about it some more I have come to the conclusion that my girl sucked up key nutes at 250ppm, causing deficiencies. Going to 500 was a bad move as I burned her badly, I should have just flushed with more 250ppm or perhaps 300 to slowly bump it up. Re-flushed it with new 250ppm at 5.6ph. I still, however, think I need CalMag and perhaps Epson salt in addition to my R.O and Bcuzz nutes. Will update with results

8. Bro - you've given her what, a single day to what? Recover? hahah... takes many days - you're not going to see a change over night.

Do not put epsom in your hydro - use Calmag. Epsom is for soil.

Stop flushing her - you dont need to in hydro...just dump and refil the rez - dont dump the water down through her root zone.

HAVE PATIENCE. If you fucked her up, which you obviously did from the pics, she is in shock - it may take 7-10 days to see a change. Yea, 7-10....not 1.

9. Alright man, I was just a little spooked by how rapidly she took a turn for the worst. I'll wait it out and if worst comes to worst and she dies at least I still have others. One question though, I was under the impression that Epson was for Mg, if so, what can I use if I have a Mg Def. with a hydro system? (Searched and found nothing relevant).

10. Right on - just remember, she didnt turn that way in 24hrs did she? From perfectly healthy, green and lush to that.... so her recovery will be just as slow if not slower.

Hydro MG def: CALMAG

Easy stuff to find....