Novice here

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by STiMonster, Nov 4, 2009.

1. im a well seasoned smoker but a novice grower. i recently aquired 2 seeds of purps. i know the chances of me yielding any are slim to none, but i figured that i could try my best and learn from my mistakes.

im interested in a small indoor growing setup, stealth isnt really needed, but id like to keep it relatively small. this is for a personal stash for my friends and myself to enjoy, so i dont really need an elaborate setup until ive actually rooted myself into the wonderful world of marijuana cultivation.

anyway, im just wondering if the mentioned hydroponics kit is viable for any type of growing?
    http://organic-hydroponicsupplies.t...ont/product_detail.asp?RowID=2187&CS=tbt&All=

either that, or possibly somebody could give me a little advice on a small, indoor grow and what i should use for it.

thanks alot everyone!

2. Don't worry about hydro on your first time. Lots of stuff you have to dial in, and with just two plants you're going to be better off in a soil medium grow. Promix might be a good choice.

Assuming you know about germination, let's just skip ahead. Take some 16 ounce party cups and poke 4 pencil sized holes at the bottom, then fill them with a soil/perlite mixture. Soil I suggest is Fox Farms Ocean Forest but if you can't get your hands on it (hydro stores) any low nutrient organic potting soil other than Miracle Grow. If you have to go MG get the rose potting soil. Mix 2 parts soil to 1 part perlite and allow your seeds to grow into the mix for 3 to 4 weeks, or until the roots reach the edges of the cup. Transplant into a 3 gallon planter with the same soil but with 40% to 50% perlite mixed in.

I suggest 27w 6500K Day Light CFL lights from a hardware store, nVision bulbs work great for me. Walmart and Target are the best places to find the 40w+ 2700K Soft white bulbs for flowering. You can build a quick light fixture with a power strip and plug sockets (dual sockets if you can find them). Hang them from PVC framing, hang them from above, however you do it make them mobile because you'll need to keep the lights 1" to 3" from the leaves.

At flowering you're going to need 100w of actual wattage (not equivalent) minimum for the plants to develop. Start with a single daylight CFL per seedling, then upgrade to two CFLs per plant when they get a little taller. By the time you transplant you should add a 46w or higher soft white bulb, and then for flowering you might want 3 of those 46w lights and a 27w daylight. Depends on your space and heat and what not.

Total setup, start to finish, should be under $150.

3. thanks alot. ive been learning about the whole process and this seems to be the simplest way to go about a small grow such as the one im attempting.

thanks for the advice,
    ill be posting/asking quistions more sooner rather than later!

4. Well done! Need a circulation fan also.

That's a little heavy on the Perlite for me but well done! :)

5. Thank you and you're welcome! I always suggest a bunch of perlite for new growers just because it's almost impossible to overwater a mix that is 50/50. I like it also because you can use a little more nutrient ferts without them building up in the soil. I think any grower will say "do what works, what do I know?"

I was going to suggest a fan and I spaced on that. Good thing you're on your game :)

6. Sorry I dont grow, But I want to. What is Perlite, and what does it do/where can I gets it?

7. Perlite are expanded glass nuggets a few millimeters large. They can absorb a tremendous amount of water and release it at a rate very useful to your plant. It serves two purposes, one is for drainage as it keeps the dirt from clumping and the water runs through the soil more freely. The other is as a water retainer keeping the soil the proper level of moist for longer periods of time.

As far as appearances go it's white and granular, you've probably seen it mixed in with most potted plants you might get from a nursery. DON'T BREATHE THE DUST!!! Get a particle mask from the paint department.