Not Sure Whats Wrong

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by froosh225, Jul 4, 2014.

1. So this plant has been growing for 5 weeks. It's only my second time trying to grow so I'm not an expert by any means. Right now it's growing outdoors in a Miracle Grow potting soil mix I found in my parents garage. I know Miracle Grow wasn't the best thing to use, but it was all I had. I'm open to suggestions of potting soils for next year when I try again. There is also some blood meal mixed in with the soil. This is the pot it started out in, and I'm thinking about re-potting it in a bigger pot in a couple of days since the roots are starting to come out through the bottom of this pot. Growth was going really well, but today I noticed that the new set of incoming leaves is a lot lighter than they have previously been. I thought maybe it's iron or nitrogen deficiency, but I'm not totally sure. It has been really rainy here for the last couple of days so it hasn't gotten as much sunlight. I also noticed that it was pretty droopy before I went to bed last night, so I brought in to spend the night in the garage since rain was supposed to continue overnight and into today. I checked this morning and it doesn't appear to droop as much, but that is also when I noticed the change in leaf color.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Transplanting sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't worry too much about the new growth coming in a bit "pale". I see it all the time.

Keep an eye on the new growth as it comes in and begins to mature. It should darken up as the leaves get older. This could take several days. If it does not, then begin to worry.

It would not be a N deficiency if it's truly a problem. Those start at the bottom of the plant and work their way up. Secondary/micronutrient deficiencies begin at the top of the plant.

@[member="waktoo"] has it nailed, but in my experience that color fading is indicative of a higher substrate ph (Fe deficit) or your plant is in need of a mild fertilizer. Best way to ascertain your plants health is to measure the substrate ph next water through and adjust accordingly.

4. Okay awesome. I transplanted the plant this morning into a bigger container. It'll probably stunt the growth for a couple of days from what I've read but then it will hopefully take off. The new leaves have also already started to darken so that's good. I'm glad nothing is seriously wrong with the plant!