Not knowing where to start

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by AmyJade27, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Hello everyone :love:
    My interest in music has been growing tremendously lately
    I know how to read notes, used to play the violin in middle school and also took piano lessons very early in life, but I'm in no way comfortable because that was so long ago.
    I'll be starting piano lessons next week, so that's exciting :)
    My rebellious attitude made me drop every single thing my parents wanted me to do (I feel dumb for that, but I´ve learned from my mistakes).
    I've now matured and realized that music is one of my favorite hobbies, as well as writing (mostly poetry and philosophy-like reflections.)
    I'm coming here in hopes of finding some advice.
    The thing is that I really want to make a song, but I have no idea how...
    I have some influences like soul, neo-soul, jazz and hip-hop, also I have a wide variety of writings that I could turn into songs, but I'm lost as far as that goes.
    Any advice, please?
    How do you guys make songs, what helps to get in the mood, what's your favorite way of structure?
    Anything would help tremendously
    Hope you have a nice day/ night.
    :wave:

2. Wow. If anyone had a surefire answer to this I'd love to hear it. Lol

I find that inspiration comes to me at anytime and under any kind of conditions. The music part usually happens for me while just fiddling around on the guitar. Might be two or three cords put together that hit my ear in just the right place. Might be a lick that just comes out of nowhere. No real rhyme or reason.

Lyrics are the bane of my existance. I come up with misc. lines all the time and I usually know what I want the songs to say but I have a hell of a time trying to put it all together.

On the other hand, I have a friend who says that the whole song comes to him. Others write the lyrics first and then write the music.

So, to answer your question...I haven't got the slightest idea! Lol

I do wish you the best of luck though. Maybe you've got the next hit song sitting just under the surface waiting to come to life.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Hello Amy!!
    That's great you are getting back in to music. You have the right tools, in that you already write poetry.
    Look up and print out a copy of the circle of fifths. Read how to use it. Get an app with it. I have "Smart chords and tools" from google play. The circle of fifths will help you write your songs.

Lyrics then music, or vice versa, but like your friend says some lucky people it comes to all at once. Just however you feel like writing. I'm a guitar player but the circle of fifths works for any instrument.
    Good luck!!!

4. Hey!
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time
    You are right, inspiration comes in different ways to people.
    I'm sure having some music knowledge helps!
    Do you know any software that lets you experiments with jazzy instruments?
    Thank you so much again!
    Take care :coffee:

5. Thank you my friend
    I'll get to it tonight, and let you know how it goes.
    Do you first get the melody, or do lyrics come to mind first?
    I didn't find the app, do you have any other suggestions?
    Take care :hello:

6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.smartchord.droid&hl=en_US Really all you need is to print out the circle of fifths on paper to use it. Just type circle of fifths into google.

I write the words then melody. Then rewrite the words, then adjust the melody, lol. But mostly I play jazz fusion with a drummer and a synth. He plays drums and synth and I play a guitar synthesizer. No words unless some are made up on the fly.

Inspiration for me comes from practice and jamming with other people.
    I'll tell you what a kick ass musician told me 50 years ago; practice everyday. Practice and practice until you're sick of it, then practice some more!!

Lee Ritenour once said in Guitar mag, that practicing one hour a day for 7 days a week is better than practicing for 7 hours one day a week.

Keep practicing, you'll get better and find your inspiration.
    Have fun!! That's the name of the game!!

• Agree Agree x 1