Not even a grow yet, first timer.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by greenstranger, May 6, 2013.

1. More than Just a First Grow.

5/5/2003
    The Beginning

I would like to start this journal by thanking the spectacular community here at GC without whom I may have never felt comfortable moving forward with this project, many people here selflessly provide a light in the darkness by which to help others grow.

I hope this journal will help other new growers avoid some of the easy mistakes, I will also be keeping this journal to help get my ducks in a row and in that vain I will be starting this grow journal very near the point of “Yes this is something I'm going to do.” I will do my best at reporting my method and results and leave it up to you, to draw your own conclusions of the actual quality of the products I will use. As a n00b I don't think my opinion will add much in the line of tangible information.

Like many here on the GC forum, I discovered in my early 20's that a little smoke, far for making me an addle brained couch potato, had a more positive effect of making me more focused, less anxious and just plain happier. After having consulted, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, General Care Physicians, been convinced to give up the green and go with Anoxylitic and SSRI mood enhancers, I'm glad to say I'm done with big pharma. And after decades of buying and going through that whole deal I've decided to make one final physical connection, me, and countless virtual connections through GC. I'm hoping this will allow me to cut costs while simultaneously giving me a greater control of quality, and the genetics that I personally prefer.

I have a significant other and we have or own very small property in an urban setting, so this will be an inside grow. Of course the ideal number of people to know about a grow is zero, that being said I don't have the luxury of a one person operation.

As a note to new growers, I have found you can't read enough, especially the stickies and journals. GC is a massive information dump and it's unlikely someone hasn't already done what you want to do exactly, so search and read, advice I need to adhere to more myself. The more you read the more exposure you have to facts, concepts and products that may change your thinking. I read a dozen journals and have been trolling this site on and off for years and still made the mistake of not fully researching some of the paths to some of the decisions I have already made. However this is very early in the process and nothing has been unboxed or setup yet so change is definite.

Half-bass-akwards.
    5/5/2003

I have had this idea that I'd grow in this small closet for a few years and set out with a well reasoned plan, or so I thought. The closet is about 3.5x4x8 has easy access to the attic which I thought would make an great spot to ventilate, almost perfect size for a 600w, little big but I thought I might shrink the grow size a foot or so, which is where I made my first mistake. Don't buy anything until you have drawn everything out and fully researched your plan. And to the seasoned grower this is going to sound extremely short-sighted, I'm sure but, sound, smell, power, water, climate control, access, and size, are just some of the things you should have completely decided before you buy anything.
    The closet was a terrible idea , not the worst ever, it could be made to work, but it's location on the main floor near the only bathroom was not ideal (nothing is), additionally it lacked ease of access and any expansion no matter how small would have been unattainable.

However, in a newb move I see in many first journals, I had let my excitement get the best of me and I ended up ordering;

GH full line of the 3 part to feed expert (including subculture b/m)
    440cfm Phresh carbon filter
    6' can max fan
    470 cfm Phresh intake filter
    6 x 5 gallons buckets with 4 x 10' net pots
    rockwool 1.5 and 4
    TDS meter
    4 x 3' net pot
    18 gallon rubbermaid tote
    4 x 4' air stone
    large air stone
    1 cheap and 1 high-end (45LPM) air pump w/ 6 way diverter
    16' oscillating fan
    600w Apollo HPS/MH
    generic soil mosit
    ona
    10L of Hydrotron
    hand-held microscope
    GH PH up/down
    4'x 50'' of 5 mil diamond Mylar

And some Genetics
    5x Bomb THC Bomb (fem)
    3x GHS White Rhino (fem)
    freebies
    2x World of Seeds Afgan Kush (fem)
    4x Smasara Green Love Potion (fem)
    10 X Kerala X Skunk # 1 Regular Seeds

The purchase of the genetics was where I made another mixed mistake. I researched how and where to get seeds and made my decision with Herbies, when I got to Herbies I choose what they recommended for what I wanted, strong, indoor, high yield. Then I researched seed companies and seeds. Don't do that, many people have an issue with GHS, research before you buy, for who's genetics you going to go with and where you're going to get them, after that I say stick to the advice on getting the best from what you have, somebody is not going to agree with your choice. I haven't germinated yet, but Herbies delivered in original breeder packs in 7 days.

Today I spent a large portion of the day cleaning the basement, as I am now working on making an area there. It's damp and only about 70' tall, but my only other usable area is an unpowered out building, either is going to require an electrical run, but the out building while supplying greater height had no drain or water, so I'd have to carry it all in, and would need to be climate controlled. Plus I'm very nervous about smell and prefer to be on-top of it, literally, if something gets out of control I want to be the first person to know. I installed two dehumidifiers and will work on moving more water away from the house to get a better control on the environment.

I expect the time until the first seed is germinated to be several weeks so bear with me.

Any advice, encouragement ,or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, but please try and remain polite and positive, not just here on my thread but everywhere at all times, peace.

Happy Cinco de Mayo
    GreenStranger