Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

not a beginner serious question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by daylanbrewer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. So my seeds came in and I was going to start them in those biodagradble pots. What would be a good starter soil the start the seeds untill I put them in the ground

2. They say Fox Farms over forest is the best for the plants !

3. [quote name='"Mnjlittle"']They say Fox Farms over forest is the best for the plants ![/quote]

^ super serial answer...

4. I have to disagree. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is too hot of a mix for seedling and young clones. It's known to cause nute burn. It's best to start with a milder soil and transplant to OF later if you want. I'm not a huge fan of the FF soils, but I do use their nutes. The FF Happy Frog is a better choice for seedlings. Personally I prefer Masters Pride but it's not something you can find everywhere like FF.

5. Oh and DON'T start them in peat pots. They're the wrong PH for MJ and as soon as the roots grow to the edge of the pot you'll see a decline in the health of your plant. It will survive, but you're best off to avoid the stress on your seedlings. Camo pots, smart pots, or even plastic are a better option.

6. I agree every time I uaed peat pots
    They start good then turn yellow.

7. what about peat pellets to start seeds? is it the manufacturing process that causes the ph problem with peat pots?

8. I used peat pots last year and this year and I never had a problem. The only issue was that the roots began to grow through the pot before the weather was OK for them to go outside. They might not be the best option, but theyre ok I think?

I used Jiffy seed mix in mine and theyre growing fine. My grow is in my sig if you want the exact name of the product.

9. [quote name='"northlat"']what about peat pellets to start seeds? is it the manufacturing process that causes the ph problem with peat pots?[/quote]

It's because they are made of peat which is acidic. Peat mixed in soil is fine, but when the roots grow into the pots or peat pellets that are straight peat, it's a shock to them. Some plants are stronger than others and handle it fine. The jiffy pots aren't a death sentence, they just aren't idea and can cause problems. Also, sometimes they don't break down as well as they should and restrict root growth. When I used them in the past I liked to slit open the sides and bottom to ensure my roots could spread easily.

10. I need stuff they sell at home depim in the country no grow stores

11. light warrior and happy frog are both good for starting.. I actually mix the two 50\50.. but I use clones straight out of water to the red cups.. then transplant the red cups into a one gallon container using a hotter (nitrogen) soil.. whatever you plan on using for the grow.. keep them in the one gallon for a while they are easier to move around until you figure out their final growing spot..

12. also a good way to germinate your seeds is by laying out a few pretty moist paper towels, spread the seeds out on the paper towel and lay more wet paper towels on top of the seeds so they are sandwiched, slide the whole thing in a large freezer zip lock, put it in a dark dry place like in a cupboard in the house.. in like 5 days or so you will see a root coming out of the shell, carefully remove from paper towel and place an inch or two down in the red cup full of happy frog, do not add any special nutrients yet.. do not overwater they will die! water when red cup feels light..

13. [quote name='"mjmama25"']Oh and DON'T start them in peat pots. They're the wrong PH for MJ and as soon as the roots grow to the edge of the pot you'll see a decline in the health of your plant. It will survive, but you're best off to avoid the stress on your seedlings. Camo pots, smart pots, or even plastic are a better option.[/quote]

Peat breaks down and turns acidic , which is what cannabis seems to prefer , I've never had a problem with peat pots , I used jiffy brand btw

14. To start my seeds I soak in water for about 6 hours , then put in paper towel or directly into damp soil , I use soilless mix for about 2 -3 weeks till the babies get Root bound and the first leaves get yellow , then I transplant and feed lightly . I never feed new seedlings

15. You soak ur seeds in water?

Hm, interesting, why?

16. [quote name='"LankySwag"']

You soak ur seeds in water?

Hm, interesting, why?[/quote]

Soaking softens the shell , helps it split . But not for too long you'll drown it

17. Thanks, I'll try this out.

What starter do you use? And what technique? (ie red cup for 2 weeks etc)

18. [quote name='"LankySwag"']

Thanks, I'll try this out.

What starter do you use? And what technique? (ie red cup for 2 weeks etc)[/quote]

Just a soilless mix in a 3 inch square pot till it gets rootbound and the bottom leaves yellow , then I transplant and feed lightly