Northern Lights Microgrow (first)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by iStoner, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Yep i think that it's time to start flowering. One has 6 nodes, the other bigger one has 7 and going by rule of thumb of 5+ nodes, it should be fine.

I just set up the timer to turn the light off at 9am tomorrow morning (usually when it turns on after being off since 3am) and turn off at 9pm, that way it's off when no ones home and on when I'm home. Safer. Less electricity. Nice.

I'm (s)toked! :smoke:

2. my plant's were exactly around the same size as your's when I started flowering im about a week or so ahead of you, so ill be keeping an eye on your grow. good luck.

3. Flowering Week 1
    All right so I topped both to save some room. They're taking up about 80% of my grow area right now. This is only the first week into flowering and they're getting massive. Thinking I might be forced into upgrading their livingspace to the whole closet. Should I worry, or no? Are there better means of pruning them to keep them small?
    I think I may cut a couple of holes in the bottom board of the grow box for the pots to sit in, since there's about 3 inches of wasted space between the floor and the floor of the box.

I've been sticking with quarter to full doses of Big Bloom (0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7) and the two lowest leaves on both plants are showing some sort of burn. It's yellowing and the extremities turn necrotic after a few days. I've trimmed these leaves off, as they're the only ones showing this. If the other leaves start showing this too, what should I do?

I fear that the time release pellets from the MG soil I used previously may be lodged deep in the rootball and is complicating things with the nutrients I already use.

Attached Files:

4. The lower leaves might just be natural foliage death but if you see signs of nute burn in more of the leaves you should flush it and I would suggest you stop yousing your vegging nute and use just the blooming nutes.
    Nice grow ill be watching

5. dont panic yet!!!you went into flower directly after toping.That alone will help.Now use some twine and lst as needed to keep the canopy even untill the first budlets appear.I also trim all the undergrowth that isnt getting enough light or is shooting up to compeat with my main colas. after that you should be fine.nice looking grow.+ rep on the happy looking plants.:) btw if your worried about nutes building up give em plain phed water for abit.just watch closly.if they start to look hungry feed em.other than that they look damn happy to me.

6. You don't think its too late to LST? They ARE big. Not that much room in their grow cabinet but it may be possible.

They do seem happy. I just think it's odd about the nutes since this one that I'm using is such low everything (0.01 - 0.3 - 0.7), if I gave it one of the others (grow big is 6-4-4), it would be like 10x worse, right? Not sure if i even need nutes at this point. Atleast for now...I'll try water only for a while. I gotta get a pH tester.

7. no its not to late to lst.basically when a top starts getting to tall just pull her down abit.the idea is to try and keep the top's even in hight and properly spread.go ahead and cut the bottom out as that extra room will give you a breather and time to decide whether or not youl need to expand.also look around for dire wolfs advise on tiping the buds.once thats been done vertical growth all but stops.

8. All right well I'm almost 100% positive one of them is female. I *think* she's showing calyxes. They look like tiny little threads coming out of the tiny preflower. I wish I had a magnifier to see better but with my naked eye I could kinda tell. The other plant showed one of these, but much smaller. Barely detectable.

Anywho, I'm gonna LST soon and I think I may trim away the lower branches. Does anyone have a guide on this? I don't want to mess it up, I just want to take away those "sucker" branches and leaves, the ones I don't need. Thanks everyone for all the help and answers to my noob quesitons :)

DING! *lightbulb goes off*

I had an idea...for the LST. If you look in my above posts, you should see a picture of my grow cab. What I'm going to do is mount the strings to the opposite plants far end so that they cross like an X in my cabinet. If I trim away enough of the base, this shouldn't be a problem, right? I can imagine having a great yield when doing it that way...

9. Meybe this is one method over another and this is not pure right or wrong, however i read a extensive and recent book on growing (Marijuana growers bible by Jorge Cevantes if your wondering) that disagrees.

Jorge says that trimming leafs and stems is always a bad idea unless they're seriously dying/dead. I dont know how true this is but i can see the reason for it.

Prehaps LST'ing and leaf tucking instead? Food for thought anyhow man, jus' trying to help.

10. Its official:
    Both are females :D

Only one preflower showing at the top-most node of the 2nd plant, but it's enough because there's definitely a pistil. Looks like a tiny hair. Noice.

I started LSTing and theyre growing into it. LST + topped should keep them considerably small. I wonder how many buds I can expect to see on this. Should I assume that every where a preflower looks like it's coming in will be a bud?

11. Hey,

Looks like your project is doing extremely well. Congratulations! :hello:

I was wondering, did you have your HPS that far away from the plants the entire duration of the grow? I would have thought that your stems would have stretched much further upward if thats the case. Then again, I'm yet to try it myself so I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks, and best of luck!

12. :) thanks

Yes I had the light that far the whole time. I tried elevating them a bit with a shelf built for that cabinet but it cut off the air circulation so I just left them down there. Didn't hurt much, I know. They're still extremely compact. They're just fem NL seeds from Seedboutique.

______

I've decided to mask the smell by getting a crapload of activated carbon things; the rock kind you use in a fish tank, and some sheets for an air purifier, and stuffed them all into this lint trap for the exhaust tube. Also got that citrus thing there and stuck it in the closet. Cuts down majorly.

The LST is going well. I just tied them down for a 2nd time because the buds were squishing up against the glass and one of them burnt pretty badly.

I was just reading up on ScrOG. I don't know how I haven't heard of this method already but I really wish I could do it! Is it too late? Even if I put the mesh towards the top of the plants and fan them out without stressing them too much? I wanna maximize my yield...I didn't realize how easy it would be.
    Anyway, here's a picture update after almost week 7. They're coming in nicely!!!
    also..here's my perk-ear scottish fold, Rofl. She's hysterical.

Attached Files:

13. nuts....I wish i could sack up and just do this! GL!!!

14. Just a pic update :)

little worried. There's a hot spot right in the middle of the pane of glass, from the bulb. It's scorching some of the top leaves and one of the big buds.

Also one of some dank nugs i picked up the other day.

Attached Files:

15. leafy but nice.

16. 2 Month mark

Doing good so far guys [​IMG]

Them shits is coming in nicely. To keep the canopy as even as possible and keep them away from touching the hotspot in the glass, I've used some of the abundance of zip ties I got in a big bucket thing of them from walmart, heheh.

It works out nicely because when it gets comfortable, i can just pull the tie tighter and even hook them on to each other to grab multiple branches.

On full strength nutes now, going by the FF grow schedule on week 8 (1 tbsp of big bloom, 2 tsp of tiger bloom and 2 tsp of grow big), continuing to water every other day. Most of the lower foliage has been trimmed off and a good bit of it has died. The top seems fine though! Not too concerned.

Attached Files:

17. Looking great

I hope to have as much success as you do

18. I have some questions if anyone can help me.

How long should I expect to be flowering these for? I've read NL strains can be as quick as 6-7 weeks flowering. Does anyone have any experience with NL in a microgrow environment and how long they should take?
    Trying to plan accordingly...they're on week 5 of flower right now and if that's true, then I should start feeding them water only right?

19. Looking good man.

Yeah the last two weeks before you harvest you don't want to feed, just water. This is often referred to as 'Flushing':)

20. Going on week 7 of flower-

Going good, except the smaller plant really isn't doing nearly as well as the bigger one. I think this is caused from the bunch of roots I ripped from the smaller one when I was transplanting to new soil a while back. The root loss wasn't massive, but apparently enough that the buds are pretty pathetic in comparison to the bigger one.

Here's some pics of that bigger one's buds. The bigger of the 2 main colas is impressive. I can't wait to toke on it!

Attached Files: