North Carolina!!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Abuddyofmine, Mar 19, 2011.

1. THIS WILL HAPPEN..TIME TO ORGANIZE
    Friday, 18 March 2011 09:39 Author: Perry Parks
    Another week with no bill..and I read the comments about "it's too late, it's the wrong year, we don't have support...etc". So, to again refute the naysayers, I traveled to Raleigh where Ben Scales and I met with Kelly Alexander to see where we are at. While we were there, Kelly emailed the bill drafting department and almost immediately, he received a call from the clerk working to draft the bill.

She told us that "today is medical marijuana day"! She will be working "only" on this bill. When asked how much longer, we were told that "We will have a new bill and new bill number NLT (no later than) March 24th..NEXT THURSDAY.After the discussion, I am confident that this will happen.After that, the real work begins, calling, calling, calling and writing letters of support to any newspaper that will print it.

At the same time, having a bill is not having a LAW. I had met earlier in the day with Amy Hobbs in Speaker Tillis' office. We had a very frank discussion about the prospects for passing this. What she told me was "it is absolutely possible and depended solely on our ability to lobby at the grass roots level". As a matter of fact, she informed me that if we had the support of those who have committed so far, the Speaker will not oppose us. In other words, this is a "REAL POSSIBILITY". It depends, she said, on how well we lobby and how vocal the support of those pushing the bill are.

Ben and I met with several legislators. We had a scheduled meeting with Marilyn Avila and she did not dispute the medical evidence. She admitted that the medical evidence continues to accumulate and she would read the info I left her. She admitted to me that she suffers much pain from getting older. Sadly, she seemed to revel in the fact that she "suffered it without help from narcotics". That is fine with me...just don't expect me to have the same desire to suffer with you!

I am departing for Washington shortly for the anniversary march to protest the war in Iraq. Also hope to find an audience with the troops to let them know about the ability of this plant to help their suffering.I hope to speak to the group sometime during the day tomorrow.

Keep the faith. We are struggling with cash to pay phone bills and other expenses but we may have a life line for a donation. Tonight, on "ustream TV", if you search for "common sense cannabis conversation" with Paul Stanford, they should be discussing a meeting with Jean and I. It is a call in show, so listen in and plug our organization. They may be willing to help us in our cause. This is a weekly show and Paul has a company that markets MM in several states where it is legal. He would like to see our state follow suit.

Please take time to comment on this article. I appreciate all the well wishes but that is not the main reason for the comments. The main reason is to gauge how well the website if attracting visitors and eventually, it will become a focal point for our battle. We must find a way to channel the power of the internet for our cause. All ideas are welcomed, as is feedback on our efforts. If we could channel all the interested parties into a cohesive "single voice calling out from the wilderness, it will be a loud voice". LET US UNITE FOR THE CAUSE"

Thanks for everyones help. Working together, we WILL CHANGE THIS LAW.

quoted from: :smoke:

This will happen..TIME TO ORGANIZE

2. that would be great!

3. Come on NC. It's about fuckin time! I'll belive it when I see it though.. our senator is against it.

4. If I'm not mistaken they were supposed to get the bill today? But, I'll have to go check. I'll get back to you!

5. is there a petition going around? do they need signatures? i got my pen in hand.

6. WE HAVE A BILL, WE HAVE A BILL, WE HAVE A BILL

Just got off conf call with Rep Alexander and Ben Scales to discuss changes and questions from bill drafting department. The answers have been discussed and changes will be submitted again to bill drafting.

It has been really discussed and crafted with much more input from Rep Alexander and Ben.

Energize yourself...NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL ACTIVIST TO RECHARGE>>>>>

Quoted from: North Carolina Cannabis Patients Network

I will ask someone what we need to do, as far as support and post as soon as I know for sure.

7. im so excited!!! i wish our last HB would have passed the health offices

8. Dude holy fucking shit its about time! Lets all pull together and make this happen!:hello:

9. you just need to email everyone you know about the bill and tell them to do this. write all our congress people to tell them of how important we think this is and why we support it and why we feel they should support it.

10. Sample Letter to a Legislator

The Honorable (full name)
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Senator (last name) ,

I urge you to sign on as a cosponsor of the Torture Victims Relief Reauthorization Act (HR 1813 or S 854) and to support full appropriations funding to implement to the Torture Victims Relief Act of 1998.

Approximately 500,000 torture survivors live in the United States. Nineteen states have treatment centers but many large cities lack torture treatment programs including Honolulu, Miami, Hartford, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Cleveland, St. Louis, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, and Seattle. Centers are able to provide trained psychiatrists, physicians, and staffers and appropriate medication for treatment. These centers have helped many survivors overcome debilitating psychological and physical effects of torture.

Adoption of the Torture Victims Relief Reauthorization Act (HR 1813 or S 854) and passage of the relevant appropriations supports individuals who in their own countries have stood for the democratic principles that embody the American legacy. I urge you to co-sponsor and pass this important legislation. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
    Your name
    Your address

11. Does anyone know where we can view the bill?

I live in NC and I am going to for sure write everyone I can.

12. I have seen a lot of good patients looking pretty bad because of their handwriting! If you want real results and not waist your time writing something that a respected elected official will actually listen to. Then heed some advise before presenting your concerns, please.

That is why I am posting these examples and helpful hints to anyone who doesn't have good writing abilities. And, especially if you want people to truly listen to you.

If you don't have good punctuation or spelling its hard to take you serious, in that case please copy and paste the example and then just put in your info.. It will help us all!

Thank you,

TIPS FOR WRITING TO ELECTED OFFICIALS
    1. Use proper salutation. Refer to the elected official depending on the office held.

For example:

The Honorable Jane Doe
    Address
    City, State Zip

Dear Senator Doe:
    2. Be courteous and informative.

Introduce the purpose of the letter in your opening sentence. Since thousands of bills are introduced each year, it is critical that you refer to the bill by name, author and topic.
    If you are a constituent of the elected official you are writing to, please be sure to indicate this in your opening line.

For example: I am a constituent of your district and writing to urge your support of SB 724 (Scott) Authority to Grant Education Doctorates.
    3. Focus on your message and key points.

Keep the letter brief and use common terms, not jargon. Legislators may not know your technical language, so use terms they will understand.
    Explain the impact of the legislation on your industry, community, etc. To personalize the letter even more, you can add examples of how the legislation can potentially impact you and your family.
    Stay on message and keep the letter brief. One page is best.
    4. Wrap it up. Recap the purpose of your letter.

Restate what you request. For example: Again, I urge your support of......
    When possible, thank the legislator for any support s/he has provided to your issues, group, etc.
    Offer to address any concerns and be available for follow up. Provide your contact information.
    Use your personal stationary or that of your business or practice. Sign the letter and send it off!

13. Ya, thats what I was thinking!!

14. I hope nobody took offense to what I was saying, its just fact.

First impression is the name of the game... because these people have drawn their conclusion over 70 years ago!!!

And NOW is the time to prove 'EVERY' implication wrong!

15. Best of luck North Carolina! Each state that passes mmj is important!