NOOB Topping and Sexing Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Miso Sexy, Feb 8, 2015.

1. #1 Miso Sexy, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    Started two seeds from a friend on 6 Jan 2015. Three weeks of veg and then flipped them to 12/12 to keep them short. Now they're at day 13 of flower. I'm growing Blueberry Nitro in a tent with a vented hood, so height is limited. I topped one plant today, but accidentally nicked the two lateral shoots near the stem I was topping. Because they looked like they were beyond repair, I removed them entirely. Is this going to hurt the plant or just cause it to slow its growth or get bushier?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've got a male, but I wanted to get a more seasoned opinion before culling it because it's growing so well. The other one I have hasn't shown any signs of sex one way or another. Is this because females take longer to show their sex? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures included below. The first two are what I think is the male plant, and the following two show the one I topped. Thanks in advance. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. First pic looks like a male alright , you really shouldn't top when in flower at all

3. #3 Miso Sexy, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind next run. I'll cull the male today. Bummer!

What's bad about topping in flower? Edit: just read that it redirects growth to shoots and leaves instead of the flowers. Lesson learned.

4. WOW when you topped your plant how much did you cut off???? Looks thick they middle branch that you cut when you top you only have to pinch off the new growth from your newest node. And Yeh you always top in veg as that's when it produces new tops for your buds to form on if done in flower it would never grow enough to get 2 more colas. Unless done at the very early stages of flower maybe then it could grow enough to be useful.

5. Topping in veg also means it can't focus all it's energy on flowering and has to rebuild the top, meaning less yield usually.

We call him Chief Kief now

6. #6 killset, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Don't top in flower. Flowering only lasts so long. The new tops may not have time to fully recover and catch up. Plus topping causes stress and slows growth, you don't have time to spare in flower. You don't want either in flower. Only top in veg. You can veg a bit longer and allow them to catch back up and fully recover.
    Like plattynum said, how much did you chop?

7. Took off the topmost node. Stems are really thick because of the nutrients I've been using. So, it sounds like it'll just take longer than expected to flower and finish out, but I haven't killed it. Just set myself back a while. Lesson learned. Getting a new clone from a friend that'll be quarantined and sprayed like hell with Azamax before going in the tent, so I won't make the same mistake twice. Thanks for the help, everyone.