Noob Questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dionysos803, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Ok. I'm about 7 days into it from the time the seed broke through the soil. In the first two days the plant grew 1.5 inches in a non controlled environment. Since then I threw it in my tent and seen practically 0 growth. The first two leaves sprouted on day 1 of the tent. Over the last 4 days nothings really gone on from outside the soil. Color hasn't really changed in the week, it's still nice and green... plants not stretching. I realize the first 2 or 3 weeks is the "seedling" stage which is primarily root growth. But to see it start off so well and so fast to basically come to a holt is what bring concern to me.
    So, is it normal for this to happen?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. They'll sprout their little round leaves and the first true set right away, after that it seems to be pretty slow going for a few weeks until they get to the 3rd set of leaves or so, then they go alot faster.

Make sure the light is close and it gets plenty of air flow. It's important for plants to go through a drying period...otherwise you can get overwatering problems and this will stunt growth. I'd be able to tell more from pics. Keep an eye out for red on the stem and downward curl in the leaves...this is a sign of stress.(there will often be a redish tinge to the stem when they first sprout, this is normal)

make sure to water by the weight of the pot rather then on a timed schedule. Lift it up and get a feel for it. :)

3. Thanks! I'll post a pic sometime tomorrow...lights out for the night.

4. Number one culprit for this is watering too much and too often. They draw up so little water at this young stage that over watering is easily done and available oxygen becomes the most limiting factor

5. Here are two pics.

Attached Files:

6. #6 GoldGrower, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014

Looks pretty yellow to me, classic looking over watered seedlings. Let the soil dry out properly and they will bounce back.

You aren't giving them nutes are you? What soil is that? Next time mix in perlite at a 2:1 ratio (soil:perlite) . This will help aerate the root zone. Marijuana requires a lot of oxygen to grow

7. Yeah it yellowed out between yesterday and today. I figured this would happen. Prior to yesterday, I've been using a spray bottle to moisten up the soil while the roots were still short rather than fully water it. Yesterday was the first day I watered the soil just to the point that a minimal amount of water drained out the bottom of the planter. So i realized I would probably over water them a bit for the first time when I switched from using a spray bottle to pouring water directly on the soil. Now i know what the planter fills like fully saturated and will not water for 4 or 5 days again.
    Current soil being used is Vigoro organics (1 month feeding or something like that). And no, I am nit providing supplemental nutrients for the plant.

8. Oh boy....turns out it's worst than anticipated. My soil is infested with what I assume is fungal gnats. FML :(

9. That's from over watering

Sent from my PG86100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Get some sticky traps in there mate. Also it's worth pouring dry perlite on top of the soil, this will stop the gnats laying eggs in the soil. 

You will need to allow the soil to dry out between waterings otherwise they will come back

11. Let that soil really dry out. Dam near till you see the plant wilting lol. That's when u should be watering anyways

Sent from my PG86100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app