Noob making BHO For vape oil.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Bleeobs, Aug 8, 2018.

1. #1 Bleeobs, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    i have never made BHO but am looking forward to giving it a try. I have watched a ton of videos and am itching to go at it, as I would like to use it to make vape oil for my girlfriend.

I found an article where someone recommends using a .7 ml of propylene glycol to .3 grams of BHO ratio. I have tried this ratio with an alcohol extraction and she is happy with it.

All that being said, I’m concerned with making BHO for this purpose for a couple of reasons:

1- I feel that there is too much handling / scraping of the product and worry about getting it all over the place.

2- I do not own a vacuum chamber and don’t want too much of an expense to start.

I think I have a solution to both these problems and would like to run it by some people with experience and see what they think.

My plan is to blast the herb directly into a mason jar as opposed to a Pyrex tray. Once in the mason jar I can put it in a warm bath to boil off the butane. Once boiled off I can use a lid that has been fashioned to accommodate a vacuum hose and use the jar itself as a vacuum chamber. Once properly evacuated, I would weigh the jar to determine the weight of my BHO, add the proper ratio of PG directly to the jar and put it back into a warm bath and stir with a wax tool / scraper until it’s mixed completely then suck it up with a syringe and inject directly into the vape cartridges.

Voila. I will have made my vape juice without ever having handled anything but the original herb and the final product.

Any thoughts before I jump in?

Any input is welcomed and appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've never made it myself and I hope someone experienced will chime in but one thing I do know is that those vacuum "oven"s are not just a chamber with a vacuum.. it is an oven... I'm sure there's tons of guides and explanations on everything bho and "purging ovens" if you google it

3. After a quick search, if you don't have a purging oven there are a few ways to do it.. so I don't have to copy and paste just Google how to purge bho without a purging oven.. you can double boil it, you can set it on a seedling heat mat.. as long as it stays under I think it said 120 you're good

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes, That is what I meant when I said I'd put the mason jar in a warm bath (double boiler).

5. Sounds like it would work. PG is supposed to work while VG will separate.

You could always use a bit of grain alcohol to help it all mix and allow it to evaporate off the alcohol with or without heat.

Winterizing is the other time when alcohol could be utilized as well!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have used PEG products that work okay but check out the last ten pages or the index in PsychedelicSam's Another Tincture Thread, he updated it recently with a liquidizer for concentrates.

Honestly, that's how I make my vape oil, working with flower to vape is much harder. I just utilize concentrate OR make my own first.