Non Aggressive pit bulls face euthanasia-SIGN PETITION!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by cinderellax, Oct 18, 2012.

1. #61 Niveuspuer, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    So I take it you personally knew the owners of every pitbull that's ever contributed to bite/death statistics?

2. [quote name='"Niveuspuer"']

No, it most certainly isn't.

Dog breeds vary in terms of size, appearance, intelligence, temperament and likeliness to harm others a lot more than human ethnicities do.

Surely you can't be so thick as to believe that temperaments are universal among the breeds?[/quote]

Forget ethnicities. Let's just talk about the human race.

Humans vary in terms of size, intelligence, and temperament also. Some humans are more abusive and dangerous than others, whereas other humans are gentle and "normal." So because of this, do we categorize all humans as dangerous and want to put them all down? No, because not all humans are the same. Just like animals.

The environment the dog and human grow up in is what matters and makes the nog and human into the adults they're supposed to be.

Sent from my ADR6350 using GC Forum

3. [quote name='"Niveuspuer"']

And what, an 8 week old puppy harmlessly teething your finger is the equivalent of a 120 lb rottweiler ripping your face off?[/quote]

Did I say that? Because I can't find that anywhere.

I was only proving a point that ANY kind of dog, big or small, can be vicious.

Maybe reread my statement.

4. [quote name='"Niveuspuer"']

So I take it you personally knew the owners of every pitbull that's ever contributed to bite/death statistics?[/quote]

Yes I did. I knew every single one of them. Because I've been around THAT LONG.

If ur gonna come on my thread and be a douche, ill show u the same respect.

Just more ignorance.

5. You're missing the point, dog breeds vary in terms of temperament immensely on the breed level. While temperaments also vary on the individual level, the variation between the breeds is much more significant.

Canis lupus is the most variable species this world has ever known, the breeds don't all start out on the same slates.

Not exactly but you did attempt to understate the relevance of a breed's ability to cause serious harm, which had everything to do with Garrison's argument; and furthermore the topic at hand.

6. I haven't understated anything. As a matter of fact I've mentioned how strong pits are, including their jaws and what some owners do to strengthen them. It's the owners fault their dog is vicious. If everyone raised their animal RIGHT, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

7. #67 BlazedGlory, Oct 21, 2012
    Did I say that? Please quote where I said that, because I don't remember saying it.

A well trained and raised dog, pit bull or otherwise, will not attack people without provocation. I know people who raise dogs for a living man, I've known awesomely behaved pit bulls and aggressive ones. The difference is how they're raised.

Surely you're not so thick as to believe that all dogs of a certain breed have the same temperament? That's my whole point with the race analogy, saying that all pit bulls are vicious is like saying all blacks are criminals because some rob people (statistically blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime)

. I could use the same logic you're using to say that blacks are born to be criminals, but that would be stupid, we have to look at other factors like the environment they grew up in.

You follow me?

8. But if temperaments do vary among dog breeds and APBTs have been found to be more likely to cause human fatalities than any other breed since such statistics have been compiled then we should be able to safely assume that their genetic makeups make them more likely to cause human fatalities than other breed and thus prejudice against them is justifiable?

In which case your ethnicity analogy falls flat.

And I'm sick of the argument that these attacks are the result of mistreatment. I'm sure that's true but I'm also well aware of the fact that there are specimens of every dog breed that are mistreated in this nation. But none of them are more likely to end up contributing to fatality statistics than the APBT.

9. #69 BlazedGlory, Oct 21, 2012
    You're still misunderstanding my analogy. Like I said, blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, which is analogous to attacks by pit bulls. Blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crime, pit bulls kill more humans than any other breed.

So what you're arguing, that the genetics of a pit bull is the cause of the high numbers of killings by pit bulls, is the exact same line of reasoning as saying the genetics of black people cause them to commit more crime. I could make the exact same argument with that logic, but you certainly wouldn't agree that black people are born criminals, would you?

Let's look at other factors. Pit bulls make great guard dogs because they're so territorial, they're big, and they have strong jaws to clamp onto someone's arm or leg. So lots of pit bulls are trained that way, they're one of the most popular breeds of guard dog.

So as lots of people know, pit bulls are often trained by stupid or irresponsible people, from drug dealers to just people who want to deter burglars. So, really, is it surprising that pit bull fatalities are statistically high? It doesn't mean they're born vicious, it's just that if you want a vicious dog, a pit bull is an excellent option.

So it comes back to my point about blacks. Are they born criminals, or do circumstances cause a higher incidence of criminals in their population? What about all the successful blacks/well behaved pit bulls out there that disprove that reasoning?

10. Well let's outlaw cars and motorcycles. How many peole been killled this year by those two items. Or guns. The number of shooting murders is at a new record in Chicago. Il this year. 350+ I read. Since this is the 10th month that averages out to be 35 a month already.

11. According to some people's logic in this thread, all shitzus and pomeranias should be killed because thats the ONLY breed of dog that has ever attacked me. While they may not have the strength to kill a person, they're very vicious dogs.

12. For the sake of this petition, your going to have to face facts. Your breed has been put under the spotlight for some pretty vicious shit over a long period of time(allbeit was primarily acting thru its owner).
    A lot of people see it as a vicious breed and sure it was the owners for the most part BUT, THAT is not the part that counts. What counts is that the DOG was the one attacking, biting, locking and shaking the shit out of people and animals. People seeing this petition arent going to think "you know what, it was likely the owner that made most of the pit-bulls ive seen vicious". No, they will think over their past experiences with the breed and say, "good riddance" for the most part.

13. I've read articles by dog experts and pit bull owners that say the pit bull is not meant to be used as a guard dog, it goes against their nature. They were bred for hunting and fighting, they do not like to be left alone for long periods.

I frequently see lost or missing dog signs in the street, and a lot of them are pit bulls. A guy I know found one, it's acually a mix but looks like a pit bull, it's very friendly, so he kept it. They get stolen a lot, happened to the owner of one in my neighborhood, but somebody spotted the thief walking it (claimed he found the dog), so the rightful owner got it back.

14. My pit will viciously lick you. . .
    Lets put him down!!!!

Dumbass

15. I understand that you're using the "individual level" argument and you're still wrong.

The black crime rate is higher than the white crime rate as a result of socioeconomic factors, which don't affect a dog's likeliness to harm people.

And the differences between ethnicities of humans and those between breeds of dogs are worlds apart, it's beyond foolish to compare the two.

Sure, many nefarious people own APBTs but the vast majority of APBTs are not owned by nefarious people and were never trained to harm anyone. Yet I've heard countless horror stories of APBTs owned by loving families that went on to spontaneously and unexpectedly harm members of the families.

Do you really think this woman trained her beloved family pets to murder her?

Pit Bull Advocate Killed By Her Pit Bull -

Also, APBTs don't make good guard dogs, according to every study I've ever seen evaluate the comparative quality of guarding ability in dogs.

16. One observation I have gained from news articles and TV stories is one APBT is ok in MY mid. When you get two or three of them together though, it seems they read minds. When 1 is thinking I should kill/attack the other 1 or 2 will join right in.
    There was a story about three or 4 months ago in a western AZ newspaper about a lady walking her smaller breed dog, when two pits decided to ruin that fun and went into kill mode on the smller dog. The lady of course picked up her dog and was bitten. Here comes the HERO. A Pit enclosed in a backyard dug a gap big enough under the fence to run out and started atacking the two dogs that were attacking the lady. This allowed the lady to escape, the police were called and Rudy or whatever the Hero dog's name was, was given a commendation by the Bullhead City City Council.

Here in Oklahoma a lady had a home intrusion occur during the daytime, the APBT house dog ran the guy to the garage, but he bolted. The APBT chased him for a ways and cornered the guy until police arrived and arrested him. In all this story got about 3 minutes of air time. This was back in early 2010.

The US Border Patrol dog that made (at one time, don't know if it still is) the largest illegal smuggling of cocaine at a border crossing was an APBT. Some police departments even use them as their K-9 dogs.

I for one would never leave a relative such as great niece or young cousin unattended with my dog ever. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

17. Just like virtually every other domestic breed of dog, excluding retrievers, right? Wiener dogs were bred to kill, UH OH hide the babies!

That point is moot, because despite their supposed aggression, domestication STILL makes an animal tame. Proper training is what keeps a dog friendly and safe. Any dog is dangerous without proper training.

Because pitbulls are so muscular, alot of people dont think twice about swatting them on the butt to teach them "no". As a result, the dogs will face-bite children in an attempt to replicate the discipline shown to them. This is how those "unprovoked" attacks usually happen.

Molossers were bred for THOUSANDS of years to kill, and their modern relatives are some of the BEST family dogs around.

18. #78 BlazedGlory, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2012
    What you seem to be ignoring is that fact that you CAN domesticate a dog, and make it fit to be around humans. Some dogs have more aggressive temperament, I never once said they didn't, but it really does come down to how you train that individual dog.

Most aggressive behavior in dogs results from irresponsible ownership. That doesn't necessarily mean you trained it to kill, but it does mean that you didn't give the proper obedience training and socialization to humans that it needed. With big strong dogs with strong guarding instincts, like Pit bulls, these things are absolutely essential to owning one.

An example I've brought up a few times is Rottweilers, they're big dogs, strong guarding instincts, and protective of their territory. There's no reason you can't let your 4 year old play with a properly trained Rottweiler, even though many attacks on humans are perpetrated by Rottweilers. I know this because my godparents bred and trained dogs for a living, and I grew up playing with their big male Rottweiler.

If Rottweilers were "bred to kill" like lots of people claim they are, just like they claim Pit bulls are, why do I still have my face? The fact is, when a dog attacks somebody, don't blame the breed of dog, blame the shitty owner who did not train him properly. Because I know properly trained Pit bulls who have never attacked anybody and never will.

My point is you can't point to anecdotal evidence or even statistics and broad brush an entire breed of dog, it's more complex than that, that's what I was trying to say with the black crime analogy, but my point with that went whooshing over your head.

19. [quote name='"BlazedGlory"']

What you seem to be ignoring is that fact that you CAN domesticate a dog, and make it fit to be around humans. Some dogs have more aggressive temperament, I never once said they didn't, but it really does come down to how you train that individual dog.

Most aggressive behavior in dogs results from responsible ownership. That doesn't necessarily mean you trained it to kill, but it does mean that you didn't give the proper obedience training and socialization to humans that it needed. With big strong dogs with strong guarding instincts, like Pit bulls, these things are absolutely essential to owning one.

An example I've brought up a few times is Rottweilers, they're big dogs, strong guarding instincts, and protective of their territory. There's no reason you can't let your 4 year old play with a properly trained Rottweiler, even though many attacks on humans are perpetrated by Rottweilers. I know this because my godparents bred and trained dogs for a living, and I grew up playing with their big male Rottweiler.

If Rottweilers were "bred to kill" like lots of people claim they are, just like they claim Pit bulls are, why do I still have my face? The fact is, when a dog attacks somebody, don't blame the breed of dog, blame the shitty owner who did not train him properly. Because I know properly trained Pit bulls who have never attacked anybody and never will.

My point is you can't point to anecdotal evidence or even statistics and broad brush an entire breed of dog, it's more complex than that, that's what I was trying to say with the black crime analogy, but my point with that went whooshing over your head.[/quote]

There's too much stupidity in the world. Some people are so dense, they can't see past their nose.

20. I grew up with a bully from puppy til he died about 3 years ago.Great dog.Fucking fantastic dog lol.I can understand peoples fears around pit bulls though.Anyone that says a pit won't bite the shit out of a child that is invading it's space is wrong and I'll call them out on it.Pitbulls are crazy territorial and a child or dog fuckin with his toy or trying to take his toy WILL get bit no doubt about it.Also any stranger (stranger to the dog) that approaches it's owner in a way that the pit feels is threatening it will fight til the death.The pitbull is really defensive and territorial and it's pretty much a guarantee that it will bite if you don't allow it to interact several times a day with other dogs and strangers as a puppy.It's not so much that pitbulls are a horrible breed it's just that they are a really demanding breed and when you have people trying to look like hard asses buying them and then keeping them in the house all the time with no interaction with the outside world is how attacks happen.A lot of you "guys" sound like pussies though haha like not just pussies but cunts.I know that you guys cannot be so stupid to think that pitbulls are just a ruthless killer breed.If they were really that prone to killing children and shit people would have stopped breeding them long ago.I love bullys an had one for 12 years.The key is to raise it around lots of strangers and other animals as a pup.If you do that you'll be fine.If you don't then probably be wise to keep it on a SHORT tight leash and when friends or family come over you should keep it in a kennel the whole time because after it's puppy stage it can't be taught to be ok with strangers anymore it's just to defensive by nature.It will defend it's owner/immediate family til death and if that means killing someone it definitely won't hesitate to do so.And btw try not to get bit because it's really hard to get them little fuckers off you lol they clamp down like a vice grips and they won't let up either.