No Till Question (basic question)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by ClayborneCR, Nov 29, 2018.

1. I wanted to no till one of my pots on this grow as a comparison. Am I missing something, what do I do with the root and the trunk of my previous plant? I dont think im pulling out the root ball am I?

2. Most guys plant the new one as close to the old stump as they can and just let the old one disintegrate.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Once you yet the microbes rolling with some worms...mine just disappears after a couple weeks. I have large enough pots that I just plant next to the old stump. I usually cut the plant at soil level, then add a couple inches of EWC and mulch. I mulch with rice hulls.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thanks guys. I will do that. I topped my pots with dead leafs a 2 months ago. I will use rice hulls

• Like Like x 1
  5. What size pots are you using? You need fairly large ones (15-20gallon) to get effective results.
    Also, what kind of soil are you using?

6. 10's and i used preppers soil mix. Think i should pull them?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Not familiar with @Prepper420 's mix but im gonna assume its somewhat similar to the no-till mix?
    I think with 10's you're kinda borderline. If you want to experiment go ahead but IMO less the 15 you're not gonna really benefit too much from no-tilling. I think I would reammend the soil if you decide to stay with that pot size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. You’ll be ok in 10s as long as you keep up with the inputs. And watering schedule.
    Aloe, coconut water, mbp,
    Add back your leaves and stems
    Amend after every cycle.
    In the smaller pots it’s critical to keep up with them.
    Can’t do “water only” in the smaller pots like you can big pots.
    And it’s really a great idea to use the best compost you can find.
    Add a couple worms
    And some beneficial bacteria/ fungus ( you choose the manufacturer)
    It’s more work, but can be done with great results.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Another option to try when no-tilling smaller containers like 10's, is to have an extra container or 2 made up like the rest. You can cycle out your pots for a bit, and give the worms a chance to get the root balls broke down. Its essential to top dress, mulch, and keep moist during the 'off cycle'. I used to do this in a sea of green type of thing. I ran 6 pots at a time, in sets of 2, staged 3 weeks apart. At harvest I would cycle another set of pots in, and the harvested ones out. 3 weeks later they go back in.
    I personally run 10's now, and I run 3 cycles, then give the soil a summer vacation. It can be done with very good ingredients, and the right amount of worms.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  10. @tejashidrow Do you think it is possible to over-do the enzymes by applying MBP and coconut water? The reason I ask is because I believe my plants got stressed from applying freeze dried coconut water during every watering. Since backing off I feel as though I have seen a difference. I will also say that this is the first round with this new mix and I had added MBP to the initial mix and figured it may of been from just over applying before it was truly necessary. Does this sound possible?

11. I stick to once a week either coconut or malted barely, i feel like that's plenty, definitely i wouldn't add them every watering. Also consider these contain growth hormones and put the plants in overdrive, IME too much can cause them to get a nutrient deficiency.
    I actually had a situation couple of weeks ago where I wanted to get a growth spurt from my mother plants to produce clones from so I hit them with kelp foliar followed by alfalfa foliar a few days later. The plants got a growth spurt allright but the 1gallon pots they are in couldn't sustain the demand for this fast growth and they all showed signs of deficiency, yellowing leaves, thin wispy woody purple stems and overly sickly appearance. I gave them a compost slurry and a few days later they started to bounce back.

So my advice with these things is to start slow and learn how the plants react to these teas before deciding if you want to up the frequency, and then do it gradually while observing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I am doing that now, i have them outside covered in leaves, just put some left over ffj on it to help microbe activity. I think worms left it has been cold here. But that is a great idea to cycle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. @Sc00byD00bie Yeah I had been doing it once a week, however, I only water once a week so that is where I think I ran into the issues we have been discussing. As a sidenote, how often/how much would you say you should water 10 gallon pots? I realize this isn't a "one size fits all" type situation but just was curious as to what you may have done in the past. I normally do a half gallon once every 7 or so days. I do not water to run off because I grow no-till but for some reason it always seems like too little, however, the plants do just fine with it lol I trip myself out sometimes haha.

14. I run blumats in my 100g pot, it's all automated so I really couldn't tell you how much I water, sorry. This would also depend on humidity and temperatures btw.

15. I water 10 gals 1/2 gallon at a shot. When the plants are seedlings its once a week. Then twice a week as they grow....when they are cranking in flower 1/2 gal, at least, everyday. If you have really well draining soil, you will get runoff early. If that's the case, water a little, wait a little, then water some more.
    hth
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1