NO TAP ROOTS - - - - NO PROBLEM????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FlowTheGanjaPlanter, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Last Thursday I dropped 6 seeds in solo cups of water. 24 hours later, with a light tap, the sank. So far, so good. Then I put them in moist paper towels, in an unsealed ziplock bag, and hung it in a dark cool closet. I after a few days of nothing happening, I read to put them in a warm closet, so I did. Today, there still were not any changes to the seeds. No tap roots, or cracks or anything in any of them. My brother said to go ahead and drop them in soil, so I did. They're in solo cup sized pots with soil that was moistened with spring water about an inch deep.

But here is where I am lost. I don't understand why they didn't spring out so I don't know how to take help encourage the seeds to pop. Do I leave these cups in a dark closet, or under light? I would think that the plant wants light so it stretches out for it, no? He suggested to put it back in the closet until there are the first two leaves... Here are my options for light sources:

thanks for your advise. this is my first ever grow

2. Hi ...seeds dont need any light till they break through the surface of the soil/potting mix ,,but the do need some gentle bottom heat to help them germinate ,,,,the super sprouter look ok to buy but you can get it cheaper or similar it you look around ,,mac,

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I would keep it simple mate
    Soak ur soil
    Make a half inch hole, drop seed in, cover and place plastic dome over hole to keep up humidity
    in 2 - 4 days they WILL pop ground - Remove dome. Job done.
    It's the way i have always done it and had 99.9% success rate over many years.
    As far as the lights - There's better out there mate ! Keep researching. I would get one for veg and flower (dual spectrum) one light is then all you need.
    example - the last once says 1200w when in reality it is - Actual Power: 252 watt

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I use T5 lamps...
    but I require eight 4 foot tubes for two plants.
    There are much better lights, but T5 is what I can 'live with'.
    See the beginning of both of my below noted journals;
    they show just how easily the seeds pop when done... one way.
    G'luck...
    (The baggie method)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Another paper towel method germination problem thread.
    We get several a week, yet people continue doing it.
    Just plant the seed!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Well said brother!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OKAY EVERYONE! I JUST PLANTED THE SEED.... and yet, I got nothing. I planted 6 different seeds. Five from very well trusted seed banks. not a thing sprouted.

8. How long has it been?

I just transplanted an auto that took 11 days to pop. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Give it 3 - 4 days.. keep the soil on top of the seed moist but not drenched … Do not allow to dry out! She will pop!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. buddy they have been messed around with and moved and touched too many times for my liking they need to be warm and moist and left to do there job and germ. cool temps pause germination ime id be surprised if they germ but got to give them another shot good luck :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. They’ve been in 85 F and 90%rh. In a propagation dome. In the dark. Outside. Night. Day. Nothing. I after tapping them in the cup to sink, i never touched them with my fingers....

12. It’s been 15 days since i put them in water. 14 since they sank.

13. thought you said you did paper towel method ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. #14 PAOLO1981, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    I have the lights on when germinating , as yes they need dark but when they pop ground they need a light source to grow towards!

• Like Like x 1
  15. #15 mactheman, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    when i germinate seed in heated propagator i dont use lights ,i just leave the propagator in room that doesnt get much direct sunlight .its light in there ,but not an direct light in only put them under light when i see the seedcase .or cotyledon break the surface of the planting mix ,,,mac,,
    not to sure about heat when germinating but i think 85f maybe a bit to high ,,think the best temp is around 75f ,,mac

• Like Like x 1
  16. I did. And when they didn’t pop, you can see on this thread where everyone said, “just plant the seed”. So i did.

• Like Like x 1
  17. so you have put seeds in water then paper towel then in dirt you will see why i said they been moved too many times etc for my liking the paper towel method is the same as glass of water method tbh your end goal is the same for the seed to detect moisture the water will tell the seed to start the process use rapid rooters or jiffys for first time germing they really are helpful for beginers i reckon not all but most of the growers on here have used either once in there time growing :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I still feel the easiest way to germ seeds is direct into soil - Boom. Done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. i absolutely understand what your saying paolo mate but as a new grower i feel they are very useful

• Like Like x 1
  20. I've been reading in another thread that people feel that it is temperature variation that is preventing germination.
    There seems a rash of this. A germination pad seems an answer... 80 degrees F.
    *I've* been lucky;
    I soak a seed overnight in a glass of water, place the seed in a moist paper towel, and slide that into a zip-lock baggie that has a straw in the top for ventilation (?), place on a dish, put in the closet, close the door... 2-4 days later; Ta-Da!

08/09/19
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

08/11/19
    [​IMG]

08/12/19
    [​IMG]