Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

No previous medical history required for MMJ card?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by McKennahead, Sep 5, 2009.

1. #1 McKennahead, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
    SO I opened up the westword, a colorado weekly magazine, at work this past week and saw a couple ads claiming that I'd need no previous medical history to get a card. I called and the guy said they have a dr next door who does all the reccomendations and I take the rec to the store and they give me a card. He also told me that I'd have to make them my caregiver. Now this sounds too good to be true. I dont mind making them my caregiver. I'd just change it the next day anyways. But the no previous history thing makes me think this is some sort of scam. Its too good to be true! Can i trust these guys? Should I just go to a real doc and try to convince him I'm in pain? The problem is I have no health insurance (cmon barack get er done for the stoners!) What do I do?

2. I know im not in colorado, but in California you dont really need it so maybe its the same in colorado

3. #3 twelsch42, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
    I have recently read on Denver craigslist about someone who went to a shaddy no-rec-needed doc and got scammed. After the cash only payment was made, yadda, yadda, no rec was given. This could be a scam-doctor, or the Doc could have recognized that this person w/o records was trying to scam for a recommendation. I would think any reputable place would refund your money if you didn't end up with a recommendation. Who knows.

I've a believer that if you're an everyday smoker, you're using medicinally. Don't lie to your doctor, just explain to them how your usage fits into/under your states accepted MMJ treatable conditions list. Plenty of people don't have insurance or the means to substantiate their claims and still really need MMJ. There are compassionate doctors.

EDIT: and anyone demanding that you make them your caregiver in return for access to a doctor is also running a scam. Often someone might help you with price break on your doctor visit in exchange for working with them as your caregiver. But if someone gives you no option, go somewhere else.

4. Lying for a rec is against GC's rules, and discussion about it is frowned upon greatly.

If you have a condition, seeing a real doctor who isn't sketchy and can hold up on his/her own in court incase you get busted should be no problem, and super easy.

But if you get busted and happen to not have a condition, lied about one, you went to a shady doc, etc...you will get fucked sideways by the law until you die.

5. This came up in another thread, but every co-op down here says you need to have previous medical records.

6. I know in Michigan you absolutly positively have to have a qualifing medical condition. Theres no way around it, if you dont have one you have to establish one and have a qualifing cond. If ya dont have insurance to do this your f*cked. The people who are the poorest and need it the most often seem to be the ones who suffer the worse.

7. out here in california you need some kind of documentation from your dr(medical records,prescriptions,etc)before the mmj Dr issues you a recommendation i just had my Dr fax them my medical records about my insomnia, it sounds to good to be true man so it probably is. So you should just move to california

8. #8 Bud4U, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
    Cali here also

i've read of strict guidelines and high fees in other states. here in Cali i suppose we just have more aggressive pro MMJ lobbies and what not

story goes in 1996 this MMJ thing gets passed with cancer / aids / terminally ill patients in mind. chronic pain sufferers. but of course others have things that ail them, also. and they say smoking herb benefits them, too. like any medicine you would buy. not a cure, no claims made, but the "proof is in the pudding", as they say

so prop 215 (MMJ initiative) is amended to include more conditions, and now you can pretty much get a recommendation for a headache if you like. at least thats as far as i understand it

nothing is shady here, its all on the up and up. we are very liberal about giving recommendations in Cali. even among the more "reputable" doctors. i supplied no records but the doc said she could tell i was telling the truth by my detailed account of my medical history and condition. i was approved and buying my medicine within an hour :smoking:

so its pretty simple here. i believe it should be

here are a couple of links from a 60 Minutes story about our system in Cali. for some a case of "careful what you with for." but for most i think its a case of "no harm no foul"

and this was a few years ago. now we have nearly 800 "Pot Shops" in L.A. more locations then Starbucks. i think its a good thing :)

Part 1
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSdV6GIjbQ]YouTube - 60 minutes Medical marijuana part 1[/ame]

Part 2
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_v13CBhRw&feature=related"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

9. I'm sure you'd need a Medical record to get Medicinal Marijuana, only makes sense. If not, real shady deal.

... In Canada I know Cancer patients who smoke weed - get ripped off by dealers at that, and are going through Chemotherapy who cannot be granted Medicinal Marijuana after trying to acquire a licence. Just follow the law and buy your weed if you're wanting to cheat the system IMO. I never wished I had the condition that could be hands-down treated by Medicinal Marijuana (MS) but I do... Pretty unfortunate when you're actually diagnosed and the tables are turned.

... To each thier own I guess.

10. well its not that all these places are running a scam.

what they do is diagnose your problem on site. then write the rec.

simple really

11. You do nothing unless you have an actual medical condition that requires it, in which case you go to a doctor.

You should also provide your own healthcare rather than holding your hand out to Lord Obama hoping he'll rob from the rich and give to the poor. Get a job with benefits. Problem solved.

/thread

12. Speaking from California.

1. You do NOT need health insurance to obtain a recommendation for medical marijuana. PERIOD. You pay the doctor directly for the examination (should be anywhere from $75-$150). The good old fashioned way. No pharmaceutical lobby...no health insurance scam artists.

PS - to the post above. PUBLIC OPTION FOR THE WIN!

2. While there are plenty of doctors who will write you a recommendation based on their own examination, it is always best to have medical records ready for your OWN protection. God forbid that you were ever to go to court and invoked proposition 215/SB 420 as your defense, if you do not legitimately need medicinal marijuana, you have a very weak case.

3. Medical marijuana is currently being recommended for chronic conditions such as migraines, stress, anxiety and insomnia, you do not need to be terminally ill to enjoy the benefits of natural alternative medicine.

13. In Colorado you need recently documented history of a listed condition.

I wonder if they have a doctor that will write a recently documented history regarding your listed condition.

14. #14 Bud4U, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2009
    yeah i concur with this and must say i think the comment which inspired this reply was quite rude!

as if having a public option with good afordable health care is "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor"

i work and pay my taxes and pay for my own healthcare. but its the least coverage i can afford...because its ALL i can afford

so a government option I pay for and into is most welcome by me. and i feel not robbed or cheated one bit. for years people say "what do YOU (government) do with our money which benefits US in our daily lives?"

well, here it is. healthcare. and all people can do is scoff, talk about death panels, and make statements that sound like they have watched too much Robin Hood

pfft