No one understands

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ganja smugglin, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Just lost 5 terabytes of information I have been collecting for years... I feel super shitty about it, don't know what to do everyone I try to emphasize with justs gives me a puzzled "Whats a terabyte?" look. lol. I realise im probably screwed but anyone had any luck fixing a clicking hdd? (w/o spending 700 to 1000 for a pro?) my limit would be 300..:metal:

• Like Like x 2
  2. #2 BrewsnWeed666, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    I know the feels bro I lost 4tb of music when my laptop died had to wipe it back to factory new for it to work again:sad:

• Like Like x 2
  3. heh what can you do right? yeah lost music a lot of rarities and Misc. archives that simply doesn't exist anymore. I guess the upside is I can organize better when I Get a new one!

4. You should buy an external hardrive bro then if anything goes wrong you always have your shit saved :smoke: I dont tend to use my laptop anymore since I got a ps4 and upgraded my phone :smoke:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Why you no raid? Is that a dated thing? I lose at least 1 HD every 3 years exactly, tried different brands, it is a heat issue in my case, literally! Sucks man. If it ain't on ice and taken to the pros immediately there's little chance of recovery from most platter drives unless you are willing to spend some forensics money. I feel for you and my next rig will have redundant data storage for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Had a buddy once destroy a 20 gig drive that was everything I had written, and like 300 or more mp3s I had encoded in a dos interface in WAV from each CD laboriously, rocking like 256mb ram like a gangsta. Lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. No I Am looking into one actually, lol in this case though it was a stupidity issue on my part..(knocked it onto the wood floor in the night):confused_2: lesson learned!

• Like Like x 2
  8. That is Dope! I've always wanted to do that but didn't have patience. That must've hurt I feel better now. lol

9. My advice would be to save it in an area where it doesn't get too hot/humid. Who knows, in the years to come, it might be cheaper to pull info off it even if it's "toast"...there's always a way to retrieve the information and memories are priceless. Just super expensive atm...

I have a few crashed HDs that I keep in storage just because it makes me feel better that I "might" be able to get the files off someday, a fool's hope to be sure, but still hope and it helped me move on.

ALWAYS keep a few Externals on hand. Price is pretty stable and has been for a good 2 years, so it's a solid buy and gives you peace of mind. Doubt we'll see any big price drops past $50/TB, which is well worth it even if it did. Will probably go down a trickle until demand for higher storage kicks in, which probably won't happen en masse for another few years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry for the loss, I know your pain

Build a NAS. I have a box with just an integrated Intel Atom board and a couple mirrored drives running on my network. They're cheap to build and you could just use spare parts if you have any

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. If you're man enough then you might be able to switch players out of the malfunctioning drive and then put them in a functional one. The drives must be identical in every way, mfg, size etc.

You might try flipping the board off of the new drive and putting it on the old one first though just to be sure that's not the problem. It's a quick flip and you'll need to take it apart anyway.

I have on several occasions flipped the platters out of a hard disk drive with success. The key is to take your fucking time and take lots of pictures.

Oh yeah, you tried freezing the drive and then immidiately plugging it in to see if it's readable? If it is then turn it off and use a USB drive caddy to keep the little fucker in the freezer while you transfer what you can.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Back your shit up.

External hardrives are cheap now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. What do you mean by "lost?" Drives can die in quite a few ways, some repairable without a lot of money.

14. fuuuck i lost about 3 TB not to long ago. none of it was super sensitive information so i hadn't backed it up. if the drive hasn't been used at all you might be able to use recurva to recover some of the data if it was deleted but the chances that works at all are extremely slim. if the drive can still be read by the a computer and has the data but just isn't functioning properly then hook it up to another one as a secondary drive and copy everything off it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I use something called a western digital mybooklive... it's an external hard drive you hook up to your home router so you basically have you're own cloud drive. Doesn't save you from a toasted drive etc., but I literarily haven't physically touched the thing since I got it about 3-4 years ago other than when I got a new router and it's always just worked... you can get an app on your phone/tablet so you can stream and/or save from your phone video, music, photos etc. and you will also find it on your home network on pc. to be able to easily drop files you want to save into it etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RAID 5 so you don't lose data again. Takes 3 drives though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I worked @ one of the bigger tech stores during college. They had a PC repair section.

One day, a man walked in looking to have his old Compaq fixed. The next day he came back and they told him there is nothing they can do. Whatever the reason was, that old PC was dead.

The look in that man's eyes when he heard that, is still one of the saddest things I've ever seen IRL.
    Whatever he had on that computer was soul gold to him.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. easy A pop a linux live cd in and boot it up check too see if your HDD is avail(i understand its fried but try it lol it wont work or boot up the HDD but TRY IT!)

b also you might have a bad circuit board if thats the case just buy the exact same fucking hdd and bam turn it over u see that little circuit board on the back? JUST UNSCREW IT AND SCREW IN THE NEW ONE LOL!!!,

C if there is a bad or damaged component within the HDD freeze it! here is what a pro says:
    I've had a pretty good success rate with freezing drives to recover data from a dying/dead drive. Much simpler and cheaper then most other methods of data recovery.

Freezing the drive shrinks everything inside, sometimes freeing up stuck/seized/trapped components, or keeping an overheating component from shutting the drive down right away.

Stick the drive in a ziplock bag(to seal out moisture) in the freezer.

While it's freezing, set everything up to quickly transfer your files off the drive if it does work. After a couple hours in the freezer, plug the drive in and see what it does. It may only work for a few minutes, for hours, or weeks. Pull your data off as fast as you can, if it stops again, re-freeze it and start where you left off. I've frozen drives 3-4 times to get everything off.
    ALSO Take it out turn it upside down on your desk and plug it in like this! turning it upside down reseats the pin in there that hits the discs or whatever! Good luck man Peace!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Thanks for the info man, I do appreciate it, but I was telling a story from like 12 years ago, that happened to another dude. I just happened to be there to see him get sad about it.

If he killed himself by now, maybe that advice would have kept him alive.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I'm strange.. I don't really store music, photos or documents on my hard drive. I store everything online ... dropbox, facebook, GC.. :cool:

Plus .. virtually every song that's ever been conceived is available on YouTube for free listening, despite efforts from anti-piracy groups.

I wipe my hard drive all the time and I don't really worry about losing vital information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1