No New Growth a Week After Topping?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by TobelTobel, Dec 10, 2017.

1. I have two feminized megamouth plants that are about 1.5 months since germination. Growing with DWC (first grow), roots have hit reservoir and the plants took off as soon as they did. I hesitantly topped them about a week ago since they appeared to be doing so well and haven't seen much action since. The top leaves have gotten bigger, but there's no new stem growth or anything from what I can see.

I'm doing 16/8, Mars 300W hydro with supplemental CFL's, diy nutrients with a target of 100N, 100P, 200K, 60MG.

At the time of topping, I had forgotten that I was only at 50% for my nutes but have increased those to 100% with no signs of nutrient burn or anything. Could the change in nutrients have shocked and stalled the grow?

I have searched and found most responses saying "give it a few days to notice new growth.." which I did to no avail.

How long did it take before you noticed new growth? IMG_20171208_155959.jpg IMG_20171204_140019.jpg IMG_20171203_141128.jpg

2. You topped them too early and too aggressively. The only actual grow tips on the plant now are those really small ones in the center of the picture. That's where most of the new growth will eventually come from. In the future let them get some size and branches developed before you start training IMO.

I would do a water change since the strong nutrients aren't going to help anything. 400ppm and 6.0ph should be great for now. An NPK ratio of 1-2-2 with twice as much phosphorus and potassium compared to nitrogen is much more ideal for cannabis. Try that when you change water. Look it up, it's called the lucas formula. I use GH flora micro and bloom along with GH floranova bloom for it.

3. Wahhh D: so from the center growth tips..two new stems will form?

Alright, so water change with maybe a target profile of N:75ppm P and K each at 150 ppm? Then micro and trace filling in the remainder? I have a ton of water soluble fertilizer salts from having planted aquariums so would prefer using those up before buying actual bottled ferts.

Should I be tying back the leaves to expose that center tip?
    Thank you so much for the response!

4. I would let it be as far as growth for a while. Let it get a foot of height. It's never to late to trim and tie in veg. New growers always get in a hurry to train very early. I'll let my plant get a foot tall before I do much of anything. Especially since it's already been topped it will be easy to train from here on out into a bush.

They're big enough for a lite breeze circ fan blowing on or near them. Fresh air encourages growth.

5. You'll have two main stems now yes coming out of those small grow tips at the elbows of the branches. Some of the small grow tips on the branches may come up to rival the main stem now that it has been basically beheaded.. hehe.

6. Yayyyy I'm seeing some action! I increased air flow, added a couple CFL's to the equation, and put another pump in my reservoir that increases surface agitation and adds more oxygen to the water.

Thank you for your help! IMG_20171213_172727.jpg IMG_20171213_172733.jpg