No idea what this is.....?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Guy09274, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ok so this morning i opened up my box and this is what i saw. and it is only on one leaf. anyone familiar with this??? Could heat cause this. my box was at 91 for 2 days but last night modified and got temp down to 79.

Attached Files:

2. looks like a grasshopper was in your box
    you can staple some duck tape in there with the sticky side up
    just to see if you catch anything

3. Where should i put the tape?

4. anyone?!?! this is urgent. If this is a pest i don't want this little creature eating anymore of my girl!!!

5. OK...

U had a chewing insect stop by for a munch. Im kinda thinkin a Ghopper, like inkman said. Usually, they have irregular damage pattern compared to a caterpillar, which is way more uniform - but ya never know.

Check the entire area, other plants, the floor, under debris, corners of rooms, around light sources - anywhere u can think of. Another important place to check is the top inch of soil. Have a good look.

Check real good and let us know what u find bro.

In the meantime, I highly recommend u get a Neem oil spray, for preventative maintenance, once this is cleared up.

Freak
    :smoking:

6. No chewing since. where can i pick that stuff up at?! thanks man

7. Keep your eyes peeled...

U can get Neem almost anywhere now.
    Nurseries, Home depot, Lowes, Walmart - they should all have it.

Freak

8. ok so i found 2 little little tiny flies. or on ur pest tutorial gnats. i dunno if that is though. these things are about the size of a spec of dust.

I got an old microscope out and looked at it and took a picture. I cant believe this actually work with my iphone, but here it is.....(not the best microscope but i did what i could).

Attached Files:

9. Yup. Thats a Gnat. They get bigger too.

U know what to do now, dontcha ;) ???

Freak

10. i think i hve the sme problem wht to do

11. Would 2 gnats really make my leaf like that over night? I only found 2 of them and they were already dead on the bottom of box. Woke up this morning and no more gnats or chewing. Do you think it is really a pest problem or heat problem? like a said my temps were in the lower 90's for 2 days. :eek:

12. I wuz wonderin that too.

I think for now, get the Neem and treat the plant, sit back and observe.
    Put up a pest strip maybe.

Gnats and flying insects are usually "suckers". They dont eat leaves like that.
    I think it wuz just a transient passing by.

Keep your eyes peeled tho.

Freak

13. ok im going to get that stuff today and also a precaution i put some panty hose over the intake and exhaust. I dont know how much it will help but it sure as hell wont hurt. only took about 5 mins and some duct tape. Thanks man.

14. Stoners are the most ingenious people on earth.
    Good thinkin bro.

Freak

15. Damn right!!

16. Thanks for your help in this thread. I had a simialar pest in my room and it only touched one plant and nothing else happened, so I let it be. That plant is growing nicely now:smoking:

I was more worried about fungal problems in my tight-spaced grow room, but you have definitely convinced me to get some neem oil to keep insects away.

PEACE

17. Its cheezy but true...

"An ounce of prevention is worth a TON of cure".

Right on dudes !!!

Freak

18. No pests since!!!!!! Freak would you recommend trimming the chewed leaf off or just let it be?

19. After an attack, I always try to get rid of a leaf or 2 that theyve damaged.
    Partly for cosmetic reasons (I hate lookin at ratty leaves and it would drive me nuts), and mainly becuz, believe it or not, theres usually hundreds of hidden bug "scent trails" all over the leaf. These scent trails contain pheromones which are a natural attractant to horny bugs.

For example, Ants are blind and rely totally on scent. The colony has a unique scent.
    When ants move around, they are following the scent trail of the guy in front of them, and so on. He leads them all to a source of food for all - and there ya go...

Freak