Nitrogen or magnesium deficiency?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Herban gardener, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Hi.
    Day 62 from seed
    22 days flower
    Bagseed w/8x23 cfl and 1x42watt. Soil : fox farm ocnfrst
    No nutes. Only molasses so far.
    Lower leaves are yellowing on branches closest to the bottom of the stem. Not sure if it's a mix of both. Pictures don't look great.
    Could I just up the feeding of molasses? I haven't experienced any burn with it so far
    All feedback is greatly appreciated ! 20161106_113722-1.jpg 20161108_075248.jpg

2. I would need better pictures and some additional info to be of any help. Many leaves yellow in flowering because the majority of the plants energy is focusing on the buds. Low light exposure will also cause this. Lower leafs will also yellow with lack of nitrogen as it is a mobile nutrient. Many different possibilities as you can see. What's your feeding schedule? Give as much info as possible for the best answers :) my bet is on nitrogen deficiency, natural yellowing due to energy focus on buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. post a picture of the plant from a couple feet back. Give it a couple days, if you notice the yellowing moving upwards towards the top leaves, it's a nitrogen deficiency.

4. My appologies for the sub par post. Thanks for the feedback All ready.
    Let me start over.
    Day 62 from seed.
    4O days veg
    Day 22 of flower
    2 gal pot
    Soil : fox farm ocean forest
    Lights : 8 x 23 watt cfl , 1 x 42 watt cfl
    Top of plant 1-3 inches from lights.
    Watering schedule: every five days straight filtered water. Ph is 6.2 water till 20% runoff. every other watering I add 1/2 tsp. Of molasses.

Here are some better photos.
    Here is my girl just 2 days ago. 20161106_113143.jpg

Now here she is today shortly after watering here and I upped feeding to a full tsp of molasses. 20161108_100317.jpg

Notice some of the lower left leaves turning yellow.

Here is a close up of some of the yellowing leaves. 20161108_100317-1.jpg

Close up of bud sites 60 days.  20 days flower.jpg 20161106_113212.jpg

She was looking great up until yesterday. Will adding more molasses help fix this problem now ? Or do I need to buy some nutes. I'm guessing I only have 3 or 4 weeks left to feed anyways before I need to go strictly water only.
    Thank you

5. Yes, it is looking like nitrogen deficiency. Molasses will not solve this issue. Either bust out the nute bottles, amend the soil with some worm castings, or make a compost tea

6. Thanks for the great info.
    I wouldn't mind using the nutes for the next few weeks in relatively small amounts if that's my best option out of the three. Which flowering brand / npk ratio would you recommend ?

7. Nitrogen ..... feel the leaf ... it will prob be soft .... if it was mag deficient it would be hard kinda crunchy

8. Any of the bloom nutes should be fine ... you don't want to add to much nitrogen right now as your plant is now focused on bud production ....... most bloom nutes will have a low amount of N in it and that should be enough ...... it's normal for lowers leaves to turn yellow in flower

9. To much N in flower will cause loose airy buds

10. i'm also currently growing in ocean forest, but i havent had to feed them anything yet. However, i just flipped to flower and dont want them to run out half way through, so i just started giving them big bloom my fox farms and thats all i plan on giving them till flush. I have tiger bloom, but i dont want to add any chelated salts to my soil. I also give my plants a product called "recharge" which is so amazing; completely organic and like the title suggests, it completely recharges your soil!

11. the npk of big bloom is .01, .3, .7

12. Wow! I've never heard of feeling the leaf to tell for deficiencies . I will definitely try that. The big bloom looks nice with that really low amount of nitrogen. Thanks for all the ideas guys. I hope she starts looking healthy again soon.

13. If it is a nitrogen deficiency, would .01 % be enough. As in the big bloom. I know I don't want to much, just the right amount, but I don't want to give to little either.

14. Also, the leaves are crunchy not soft.
    If this indicates a magnesium deficiency would I need a specific type of nute or would the big bloom work the same for this issue ?

15. The npk may be low but it's plenty and it will take care of all your deficiencies. I only use it at 1/4 strength, but go ahead and feed at half or 3/4 and if you feel it could handle more feed more

16. I wouldnt diagnose my plant based on the feel of the leaf, but i suppose if you had to decide between n def or mag def that would be one way to be sure of which

17. It does look more like N but it could be both .. the bloom nutes will have magnesium in as well so either way you will be getting it what it needs .... what kinda water are using ???? Adding a little epsom would help if it's mag deficient as well .......

18. What kind of soil are you using ?

19. I'm 98% sure it's only nitrogen. Mag starts on the sides and the leaves get crispy and you'll also notice browning. Those are just yellow overall like nitrogen being drained to reach new growth

20. But yeah regardless the bloom nutes will have everything you need

• Like Like x 1