Nirvana WW indoor grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Dense, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Let me start out by saying this is my first grow, so any advice is welcome. I would like to get something other than experience out of these guys but my hopes aren't set too high. These are White Widow beans from Nirvana through Attitide seed. They arrived just fine, but all beans were small and white/green. I didn't even think they were going to pop. One even looked so bad I could see it was a dud. But here is how they turned out so far, as of today.

[quote name='"Dense"']Ok so I germed 5 Nirvana WW beans using the toilet paper method. Then 3 days later I put 5 more beans to germ using the shot glass method (1st pic), with 80% success on both. The next day I placed the first group of sprouts into some rockwool cubes PH'ed to 5.7. The next day they popped through (2nd pic), or we're at the surface about to pop through. The day after that the shot glass beans were ready for the cubes (3rd pic) so I put them in some cubes and into the dome on the stove. However... In the meantime I had no light so the first group had stretched out to the top of the dome (4th pic). The next day I got some aquarium lights, a 2'-2bulb T5 light with one 14w 6500k and a 14w colormax bulb that was almost like a backlight (5th pic). They then stayed with the dome off, with temps around 78/ 30-40%RH. The next day I got some coco and expanded it with 5.8PH tap water, tested the runoff at 5.8PH. I then put some into the bag and a cup and I planted the first group, burying them leaving a few inches of stem sticking out (6th pic). For the next day I got 4 - 2' HO T5's and put those above them along side a fan (7th pic). I was planning on leaving the ones in the cubes to grow for a bit before planting in soil. Before I put the fan there though I had noticed that the cubes were cold even though the temps were higher. So anyway, I left for work the next day and came back for lunch and this is what I saw...(8th pic). So the cubes were bone dry, the biggest one with the nicest hairiest root had the root dry up and die. I poured some water PH'ed to 5.7 on everything and left the fan off. By the time I had gotten back from work my spirits were lifted (9th pic). The next day they looked ok (10th&11th pic). So since they were growing very slowly to begin with I figured this major shock would slow them down even more, but with this light I thought they'd be growing a lot faster. So yesterday I decided I'm going to put the dome back on and let the temps climb to get the cubes heated for better growth, temps around 91 / 80% RH(12th&13th pic). So today I pulled the dome off to take a look and everything seems to be growing better. Little sets of 3 are about to form(14th pic), and some got noticeably bigger (15th pic)...I think anyway. But I'm hoping for the best. You are now updated as of today and any advice or input is welcome. Good or bad. Just kick me some knowledge. If you know why they are growing so slow please let me know. I have foxfarm soil trio at the ready just haven't used yet. Should I start with light super thrive first? Again any input it welcome.

The last two pics are as of earlier today:
    From seed to today : 14days
    Current temps : 88.2 / 84% RH (inside dome)
    Newest growth, from after they dried out is showing the best growth rate.[/QUOTE]

Here is the thread that has the pics: http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1127397-white-powdery-leaves-seedlings-w-pics.html

Anything posted under this profile is related to tomatoes and tomatoes only. This just happens to be one of the best GARDENING forums.

2. Morning update : day 15 from seed

Just checking on them before work. All of the first group are putting out 3 set of leaves. Second group not far behind, I hope. Should I start adding nutes or wait for the 3rd set of leaves like I've read.

Anything posted under this profile is related to tomatoes and tomatoes only. This just happens to be one of the best GARDENING forums.

Attached Files:

3. Update: Day 19 from seed

I finally started to see the 3rd set of leaves so I decided to transplant. I expanded some coco using a seedling nutrient solution PH'd to 5.8 and combined that with perlite for a 50/50 mix. I planted 7 and just killed the last one not knowing if it had developed enough yet from being stressed...it had. So far one day gone by and no signs of burns from anything, but not a lot of visible progress. We'll see in a few more days, what happens.

Final Solution:
    Luke warm tap water
    General Hydroponic FloraSeries performance pack
    617 PPM
    5.7 PH

Temps with lights on:
    ~86/~40%RH

Attached Files:

4. Everything sounds great mate, except your temps are way too high. You're going to see sluggish growth at 80f, ideal temps being closer to 75.

Best of luck to ya mate, you're off to a good start.

5. What's up dude? I got some Nirvana White Widow for my first grow too. It ended up being amazing. I'm a fellow coco-nut as well, so I'll stick around and see what's crackin. Good luck!:cool::smoke:

6. [quote name='"irnhed84"']What's up dude? I got some Nirvana White Widow for my first grow too. It ended up being amazing. I'm a fellow coco-nut as well...[/quote]

Hey man, how's it going? I've never had WW so I'm stoked and I hope at least one makes it. I've never grown before, let alone in coco. So if there is anything you see me doing wrong, or any advice or tips you have, please let me know.

[quote name='"KaltHerz"']You're going to see sluggish growth at 80f, ideal temps being closer to 75.
    [/quote]

Alright, I have a fan but I'm afraid to put it on them. I had it on them before I left for work one day, and when I came back for lunch they were laying on the ground. 4-5 have their 4th set of leaves sprouting, do you think they are established enough for a fan or should I wait a bit longer?

7. Update: day 20 from seed

Day 3 in coco/perlite. Topsoil still moist. Some plants have light green around the vein part of their leaves. But since the new leaf sets are also light green, I'm assuming its new growth and not burn?

Temps: 86/40%RH
    I know now that the temp is too high, I'll give them until after tomorrow and I'll throw the fan into the mix to hopefully drop the temps.

Any type of feedback welcome.

Attached Files:

8. Dude rock that fan man. The fan on the leaves will strengthen your stems and build healthy vascular systems. It also will push more fresh air over the leaves. It might even keep them cool!

9. [quote name='"KaltHerz"']Dude rock that fan man. The fan on the leaves will strengthen your stems and build healthy vascular systems. It also will push more fresh air over the leaves. It might even keep them cool![/quote]

Well the lights are going out in a few hours. I'll just hook it up for the morning. They won't dry out easily in a pot? I think the rockwool cubes they're in probably worked as an evaporative cooler and that's why they dried out.

10. They will dry out faster, yes. Just like a lady, have to check up on her every day or she'll dry out :smoking:

11. Haha alright. I'll make sure to keep an eye on them. I guess I'm just traumatized from the first time I almost killed them.

12. Update: day 21 from seed

I placed the fan I have on them this morning and the temperature dropped a bit, and they are all swirling around nicely. I also finished enclosing my grow space. The space above is where i started them out and that will eventually be my seedling/clone cabinet. The main closet is the grow space, about 22"x5'8" to the ceiling.I have a strip of filter running across the top for ventilation and hopefully pest control. I have 4 mil plastic lining the bottom and the door, everything below about 3' is painted eggshell bright white. The door is velcro-ed all around the sides, except for the bottom, and in the middle at the 3' mark. On the bottom I have 3 vents with the same type filter as the top, and the center is blocked currently. I have 7 pots laying on a 3/4" styrofoam insulation sheet(freezing cold floors). So far so good.

Temps: 82.6/52%RH

Attached Files:

13. Looking good man! If you can finagle the temps down another few degrees, that would be ideal, but things are looking awesome!

14. Update: day 26 from seed

Still slow going. So 2 days ago I found 3 fungus gnats flying around, I killed 2 and the 3rd I think flew out because I killed a small fast moving fly in my kitchen and haven't seen anything in my closet since. I did a little reading and decided to wait an extra day before watering, maybe it'll help control a little in the future. So today I watered with tap water PH'ed to 5.7 with 311 PPM. I saw these little guys popping out yesterday (1st pic) and this morning before I watered they were maybe 2mm, now they are what you see there. Here in NM we got a cold front today so the temps in my closet have been about 78/40-50% RH so I'm sure the 4-5 drop helped growth because the lights haven't moved an inch. Everything is looking ok, the only thing I'm not sure about are purple stems (2nd pic). Almost all of the plants had purple stems when they were smaller and now they are back to green, some with some light purple still. But the one in the pic is the only one with pretty bright purple/red but only on top (facing the light) and by the nodes and base of leaf. But it's more noticeable than the others were. It is also one of the healthiest/biggest. I'm not that worried right now but a second opinion would be nice. I also reset my thermometer so I can get an idea of what the lights off/night temps will be like this winter so I'll put that up too. The last pic is of another of the first group, or biggest/healthiest.
    One more question before I go, since I'm growing in coco and watering with tap water do I need to add cal-mag? I haven't seen any deficiency symptoms like they show online, but this is my first grow so I could be missing it.

Thanks for checking my ladies out,

Peace

Attached Files:

15. Your girls look like widow to me :) expect slow vertical growth. color on the stem is fine, but keep an eye on things.

16. Plants look good bro... Dont sweat the stems.:smoking:

No need to use cal/mag when using tap, so you should be alright, but it might be needed, so just keep an eye out for any deficiencies starting to pop up.

I have had some super stretchy Widows before so keep that in the back of your mind when contemplating making the switch.:D

Keep up the good work!:metal:

17. Update: day 28 from seed

Ok so I was checking out my ladies and I noticed some of them have yellow spots and yellowing around some leaf edges. I was checking out some pics I took when I noticed that a pic I posted on the 11th (2nd pic in that post) shows the beginning of one of this plants (1st pic) yellowing spots. Checking them 3 time daily is my norm so I checked them 3 times yesterday and again this morning at about 11am and again at about 3:30pm but I didn't notice anything out of the norm until I did my evening checkup earlier. Now these spots are sticking out like a sore thumb. I haven't done anything different to them. Their last watering was with straight PH'ed tap water and they shouldn't need more until Thursday. The undersides of the leaves look fine and I haven't spotted any pests. The canopies are about 4.5" away from 4 2' 24w HO T5's with the fan swirling them around nicely. Current temps are 80.1/34%RH with a daytime max of 83.8/50%RH and a night time low of 70/27%RH. The younger ones appear to have worse symptoms with the yellow spots and leaf edges while the older ones are only showing slight yellowing of some leaf edges.
    Any input at all is greatly appreciated and if you need more info just ask and you shall receive. Also as a reminder, they are in a 50/50 coco/perlite mix.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

18. Ok so after some research I'm starting to think this is the beginning of a cal-mag deficiency. Which might also explain the stunted growth? Either that or the 1/2" they grew put them too close to the lights, but I'm leaning more towards the deficiency. Although I saw pics of a cal-mag deficiency and the plant had little dark spots all over the leaves so that's what I've been on the lookout for. Anyway, a second opinion would be great. Thanks again.

19. Update: day 31 from seed; day 23 from transplant into coco

Ok I have a few things to go over. So I was thinking my ladies needed some cal-mag so I let them go an extra day without watering so I can get the cal-mag and add it in. Today is also going to be their first watering with RO water. Anyway, I was at Walmart checking all the water for filtration techniques when I come across the GreatValue brand water and all it has listed under filtration is Reverse Osmosis. So I grabbed two, hit a hydro shop on the way home for the cal-mag and get mixing so I can feed my babies.
    First batch 1 gallon,

GreatValue drinking water : 2PPM / 6.6 PH
    Week 3 late growth GH mix+GO cal-mag: 726PPM / 4.9 PH
    After PH adjustment : 767PPM / 5.7 PH

Second batch ~1/2 gallon,

Great value drinking water : 5PPM / 6.6PH
    Week 3 late growth GH mix+GO cal-mag: 1038PPM / 4.9PH
    After PH adjustment : 1122PPM / 5.8 PH

I didn't realize until i was checking the PPM's, but i had a little less than a 1/2 gallon for the second batch so the PPM's were way high and i didn't think to add more water until about an hour later. Anyway I watered them and dumped the run off, then I FIMed the 4 oldest. I don't know what sex they are going to be but I'm prepping them because I want at least one mother so I can clone from her.
    Now a few questions. First, how will the high PPM's of the second batch affect the plants that got watered with it? One of the plants is one that I FIMed. Second, if the pictures are good enough, can anyone tell me if my FIMing skills are on par? Third, is it ok to FIM or top on a feeding day? Fourth, is the slight skunk/vegetation smell at their age a good sign of bud to come? Please let me know what you think, and thanks for checking out my babies.

Attached Files:

20. What up foo!:wave:

Well the fim looks good I reckon.. never really understood why you don't just top it... but its cool anyways.. same premise ya know? Its totally cool to lst,top,fim,transplant,shake and whatever else you wanna do on a watering day.. not gonna hurt it one bit. :cool:

In my experience, the stinky ones in veg don't necessarily mean they will have stinky buds... but that goes vice versa as well.. and I have had a few of both be neither.:p:p

Dunno much bout ppm so I can't help there, but the plants look great dude! Keep on keepin on brotha!:metal: