Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Newcomer with a couple of Q's

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Not_Experienced, Feb 3, 2010.

1. (Very) Occasional smoker here looking for some advice to better my smoking etiquette and my general smoking experience.

1.I'm pretty excited about getting my first pipe soon, but I'm confused as to what the major differences amongst pipes are. I've got a spoon in mind as my first, but I'm not sure what to look for.

a) What bowl size should I look for?
    b) How do I properly use the "carb" (I think that's the name) on a pipe?
    c) Does the length make any difference in the heat of the smoke?

2. How do I know that I am inhaling correctly? I try to breath in like I would a slow, deep breath, but it usually takes me longer to get where I'm going than it does for my friends... I'm afraid I might be leaving smoke in my mouth.

3. How exactly do I "torch" the bowl? At what point have I held the flame too long?

4. Any general advice for someone who is interested in becoming a regular smoker?

Thanks for reading my questions! :smoking:

... even if they are dumb :D

2. No shame in asking for help :)
    Ok if your looking for a good pipe to get you started get a spoon. Get a decent sized one that you can carry with you or hide easily if necessary because you will need to hide it at some point. The bowl size isn't too important just not too big, not too small. Simple enough?
    The carb is used to get the smoke that stays inside the pipe when you inhale. All you gotta do is cover it with your thumb, inhale, and take your thumb off when you're about done with your hit. Makes it nice and clear.
    I don't think the length will really matter with a spoon.
    To inhale all you need to do is take a normal breath. Maybe a little harder. The way I see it, you've gotta push the smoke down into your lungs so you may have to hit it hard. It's hard to explain, but you'll get used to it. And when you take the pipe away from your mouth, inhale again (just air). This should get most of the smoke out of your mouth.
    Torching the bowl is something that a lot of people get upset about. It just means that you put the flame over the whole bowl and burn all the weed at once, wasting smoke. The solution is to "corner" or "quarter" the bowl. This means that you hold the flame to one corner at a time so you just burn enough for your hit.
    General advice: have fun haha. You'll get the hang of thing. Read some of the guides on here about weed quality, how to not get scammed, etc.

Happy tokin' man!

3. Thanks for the advice!
    I've been reading some of the stickies, there is a wealth of info in them. :)

Can't wait to pick up my new pipe and some good bud :p