newbie questions

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by moorglade, Apr 16, 2009.

1. what's up folks. I've got a few newbie questions. I'm looking to upgrade my toking tools. I have yet to own a glass pipe or bong and these seem to be what everybody is buying and selling these days. I remember back in the early 80's the clay "people pipes" were popular. Anybody remember those?

Anyway, I still use a metal pipe and a wooden bowl. Is there any concern healthwise with using metal pipes or wooden pipes?

I've also noticed some cool looking "Tibetan water pipes" on ebay that are a combo of metal and glass (maybe plastic). They come from Tibet by way of Hong Kong. Is there any issues with construction materials coming from these sources? Check them out. Search ebay with "Tibetan water pipe" and you'll see some.

Anyway, just curious what the thinking about this is here.

2. Glass is the best.... dont buy imported crap... support your local glass blower!

3. Smoking out of plastic pieces pose health risks and so do metal pieces to a small extent (depends on the metal). Wood is fine.

4. I woundn't recomend smoking out of anything but glass due to heath issues that might go along with other materials. I would recomend getting an all glass piece wether it be a pipe, bubbler, or bong. Another smoking device that I recomend looking into is a vaporizer, these are the best for you if you are concerned with your health due to the fact that i doesn't actually "burn" the cannabis.

5. Any plastic isnt good for you, and you dont know exactly what kind of wood is that pipe made out of and how it was treated prior. I would just buy a small 'water pipe' or bubbler, basically a small handheld glass pipe with small water chambers to filter and cool the smoke. and be careful when selecting vaporizers, some are made in third world countries and use toxic/unsafe materials, only get a brand name vape, no knockoff crap

6. thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be checking some glass bubblers (never tried one) and will be sure to buy local.

7. If you can make it to berk Check out Big Als

8. I just might. Lots of good head shops in Berkeley. thanks for the suggestion.