Newbie Questions...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ruh roh, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I have some newbie questions hopefully that can be answered here. I am NOT growing cannabis due to the fact it's not exactly legal for me to do so, maybe later in life. Questions are...

I have one tomato plant and one strawberry plant not yet producing fruit, in fact the are kind of small. I have them in 5 gallon buckets right now. Should I drill a couple holes in the bottom of the buckets to let some excess water escape?

Second question...I am also germinating tomato and sweet pepper seeds in my room as we speak. Today is day 5 and I am starting to see about 3 or 4 seedlings emerge out of 28. I hear as soon as I see leaves they should be in direct sunlight for at least 12 hours?? When I see leaves can I do this or should I start tomorrow. They are in a germination bin with 28 other seedlings...and if they do need sunlight, do I take each one that shows leaves at a different time? Like lets say seedling 1 has leaves, but not seedling 2, should I leave seedling 2 in the bin and seedling on extract from the bin and transplant into a smaller pot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Like I said, right now I'm not growing cannabis...

2. drill as many holes in it as possible. do not expose roots to light. Smart Pots - Container Gardening, Hydroponic Fabric Containers to vegetate your plants keep them under 18 hours of light per day. avoid transplanting unless your plants are root bound unless you are sure you can do it with minimal amount of stress. The best nutrients IMO are earthworm castings and kelp meal.

3. There's a general gardening section further down....

4. Yea I know this...but not many people view that forum, thought I would get answeres here quicker...any way its under the same sub title and it does say...absolute beginners...and thats what I am.

5. when you drill those holes, make sure you remove the plastic shavings from the bucket... AFAIK plastic shavings are not a recommended soil amendment...

6. i have found the general garden section is a great spot for the top-notch advice.

7. Yes I do too, and I've posted there a couple times, just being a little impatient, lol. Wanted quicker answer before I put them in tonight.

8. what kind of soil mix are you using? nutrient?

9. I am treating my tomatoes and peppers just like my mj. Only difference is that I have started a very weak solution of fert to the tomatoes/peppers. My goal is to grow them side by side. I lost all my out door vegs last year due to the massive amout of rain we had...good luck.

10. Im just using a seed starting soil bc thats what I picked up for my seedlings in my room, but I used some for planting in those buckets. Probably should use some ferts? Any suggestions?