newbie needs little help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FrancZA, Dec 20, 2007.

1. hey guys,

so i have 10 little seedlings growing at the moment, they were planted about ten days ago. they are currently about 4-5 inches tall, with only one set of leaves at them moment, but new leaves seem to be appearing slowly. i am currently growing under a 400w MH which is about 3 feet away. do you think i should lower the light. also i am unsure when i will need to start misting my plants and how often this should be done. currently my plants are growinjg in compost and i have not transplanted them yet. also i would like to ask about using fertilisers, as yet i have not given them any and im not sure when i should begin, i have terra vega and terra flores fertilisers from canna, these are meant to be cannabis specific fertilisers, can someone please inform me on how much fertilisers i should start giving them and how to use them since the instructions are in german. thanks alot guys for your previous help and looking forward to hearing form you soon.

any help will be much appreciated.

2. Congrats on the sprouts. This is my advise to you, your going to want to bring that light closer. What you do to see if its to close, you stick your hand on top of your plant.
    If your hand burns or its hot, its to close. You can also check the temp on the top of the plant too, make sure its doesnt go above 82-85 degrees and that is to hot in my opinion. Make sure with more heat you need a fan to cool the temps down and also water more often due to increase of heat.

Dont fert yet, you wanna wait about 1 month or 3 to 4 nodes. Introducing ferts is dangerous and you want to make sure your using a fert that will benifet your cycle. You wanna use veg ferts and flower ferts. Also a well balanced fert to use through out both cycles.
    Also remember to use a quater of the recomended amount. Most call for 2 ounces, so start with .5 oz so that your plant isnt shocked from the full amount. Most say you can give full strength after, I use half the recomended use and THEN the full.

Dont mist yet, keep some water near by to help boost humidity. Keep the temps in upper 70's

GL

3. Yes indeed congrats. The 400MH is good but it may be to intense to grow the seedlings properly. You see the heat they put off can be damaging, especially to seedlings. But to keep them safe you have to keep the light at a distance that will cause a stretch even though its blue light. It's a heat vs. distance problem. Most people will recommend fluoro's for the first couple weeks of the seedling life and then bring in the MH and keep it a little high for 2-4 days and the bring it down little by little till its at the right distance from the plants. I belive a 400MH is actually 3' from the tips of plants but it does depend on strains and air movement across your plants and/or light (I have had mine around 2'-2.5' and they grow with out problems). A 4' double bulb fluoro fixture can be bought a Home Depot for something like $40. And if you can, use 2 cool white or daylight bulbs. This fixture is then placed about 2" about plants till they have grown around big enough. Being cool white or daylight bulbs they won't burn your plants if they touch them. I'd say 4"- 6" tall then to the MH, but it may be too soon. I hope this info helps.

4. thanks alot guys for your help. ok i will try and find an optimum distance to keep the MH from the plants. its quite cold here at the moment so i have a heater running in my grow room to keep the temp at 25c. at what point do you think i should start running a fan in my grow room?

5. My MH is about 6 inches away from the tops. It all depends, try the heat tests and get it as close as possible.

My fan I turn on and off threw out the day. Eventually I will keep it on full time.

Watch your lows at nite, if they drop below 60 degree the plant with stop growing as well and develope purple stems indicating that the temps are to low.