NewB ..jus lookin for tips From The OGs

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BSMOKINorBPASSN, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 5 site bubblebucket/dwc ..(1) 400 watt MH/HPS...plants are Big bang/jack 33....ph at 6.0-6.2...plants are 16 days old and ive just started feeding them with jungle juice 3 part..so far everything look ok i suppose. i did notice leaf tips curling at the ends and found out i had a temp issue..but i fixed it...this is the first grow ive ever done and im aiming for close to a pound off of each plant..my question is..is this possible??

Attached Files:

2. lookin at these pictures makes me wanna go buy some mylar ...but ive been told its not THAT necessary yet..anyone?

3. #3 theVirtuoso, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
    While things look good, just a few notes...

- pH for hydro should be between 5.5-6.0 (5.8 is generally the optimal number, but let it fluctuate between those)

- It looks like the light needs to be closer. How far away is it? The plants look like they're stretching for it a bit. MH especially creates very tight node spacing, which isn't happening here.

- I find it a bit odd you're doing five plants and not four or six. I think four would be best - really depends on your light coverage. They're going to take off real soon since you just started nutes, but larger plants does not always mean more yield - you only have so much light.

- As for the mylar, it's not a necessity, but it does help with light coverage around the edges. Your light footprint and the reflector you're using is more important, IMO.

- lastly... you're not going to get anywhere remotely close to that yield. Most growers can't even get 1lb off of a 400w hps, I wouldn't be expecting any particular amount, maybe 1/2lb in all give or take an ounce, however ultimately there's far too many factors to give any real estimate.

Now, I'm no "OG", but these are fairly simple things. You're doing well so far, just keep reading and learning. Many don't even make it this far when they're getting started.

4. hey thanks virtuoso...the light is about 3 ft from the top of my tallest plant (which is 7 1/4")...i actually had it alot closer when i was in my first week...but i moved it after sum youtube vids ..so i been kind of wantin to lower it bcuz of exactly what you said about my girls stretchin a lil..but i wasnt sure...and as far as the ph...im on top of it..(still learning)...and yea i been hearin that alot about "yield"..so ill roll with it..but thanks alot bro

5. You're doing quite well so far. I like seeing people start off with hydro as personally I see it as being much easier than soil or coco and I'm glad that's where I first started.

Generally, if the light isn't air-cooled, you can go around 12" away. Really, though... all you have to do is see how hot it is with the back of your hand and you can tell how close is too close based on the heat you feel.

They haven't stretched too much yet. With that many watts, its better to start off further away and work the light closer so they can get used to it. When I move my plants under the 600w I start around 2.5' and work towards a foot or less.

6. #6 BSMOKINorBPASSN, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
    yea i think hydroponics is pretty cool for first time growers because youre able to get a little bit more involved with the process.which in my opinion is dope..my light isnt air cooled but the closet that i have it in has a nice little exhaust fan built into the top of the door so it regulates the temp pretty well..but im going to probably keep it where it is because the plants dont seem to be stretching as much as theyre growing their roots..so ill keep an eye on em..but yea ,so far so good i guess, thanks for the info bro..oh yeah and im keepin that ph down now as well.

7. #7 DonBlaze28, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
    No sir you WILL NOT get anywhere near close to a lb. per plant! focus more on how to properly grow for quality at your growing level. as youre doing that, everything will begin to fall in place and you will learn how to maximize your crop by utilizing different plant training methods, and perfecting your growing environment (expensive but worth it). PEEEEEEEEACE!

8. oh okay..but i think and actually know youre wrong.,i have actually seen with my own eyes a big bang hydroponic plant yield about 11 ounces with a 250 watt hps fixture..and i think sometimes growers turn growing a plant into rocket science when you dont have to..light water and air bro ...its EZ

9. dont mean to sound like a dick..just kind of happened that way.

10. I seen indoor plants yield 5 pounds a plant when done right. The fact is your a new grower and shouldn't worry so much about yields. Just enjoy the ride and produce high quality product. High yields will come with experience and knowledge.

11. jus a little update...just went into bloom.its been 3 days now and my girls are looking awesome and starting to make my apartment stink....time for some odor control..LMAO..im about to put some pics up too

Attached Files:

12. the longer you veg the more yield you can get. obviously a bigger plant is going to have bigger and more buds, but most of us cant grow a huge plant when we are only growing in our closet

get the plants as big as you can.

13. yeah i hear you ...im at my max height for vegging rite now considering the pant could potentially double in size ..

14. Looks like we flipped the flowering at almost the same time.. Iim subbed for sure it will be interesting to watch your grow considering we are at the same point :)

15. oh really?..cool man(i mean, cool mama) ....this is my first grow too..but yeah i vegd for about 6 weeks..i say about because it was 6 weeks from when i germinated the seeds..anyhow..yeah im gonna do the same and also try to post as many pics as i can when its necessary..ill be followin u to and maybe we can help eachother out!!...sharing is caring..

16. day 7 of flower update: ..no pics beacuse my camera isnt powerful enough to show you whats going on, but im getting some action.Starting to see white hairs stretching from nodes and the tops have more than the rest of the plants so far...but everything is lookin pretty good..ill post some pics next week.