new xbox live update ruined my console

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by SeanyCash, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Hello everyone, I seem to be having a problem with my xbox 360 now that the new update is out. I downloaded the update and everything seemed to work well, but the next time I booted up my console it started to freeze everytime the dashboard screen comes up.

I have read that clearing the hard drive cache may help, but I have no way of doing this because I can't navigate through any dashboard menus, it just freezes and won't make any sounds or confirmations it is working.

I shoud mention that I have the new xbox 360S, the 4gb one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it had something to do with not having a hard drive, since microsoft basically forces you to buy the 250gb hard drive in games like halo reach, etc.....

Anyways, is anyone else having problems with the new update? I found many results on google about this problem, but they all say to clear the hard drive cache, which obviously won't work when you can't navigate the dashboard.

I might just swear off microsoft altogether and just get a PS3 for blu ray, and use my new computer for gaming. :wave:

2. I'd go with your second idea. PS3 has very nice graphics and way more options. PC is always the best for gaming.

3. PC is hands down the best console. I've had one too many RROD with the 360, and I should have learned my lesson the first time. Haven't had any problems with the PS3, and the online is free.

4. i bought a gaming computer, i've only played my xbox once or twice since i bought the computer about 8 months ago. Hands down the PC is the best gaming console. Best graphics ( if you can afford the gear ) free updates, updates generally come first. Way way way more variety of games

5. Can you explain what exactly happens from the points when you hit the button to turn on your xbox. & is your controller connecting properly?

6. Ok heres what happens. I turn the thing on, the xbox 360 animated logo loads up and works fine, but the second I get to the dashboard the thing just freezes.

It will just sit there with the little spinning circle to show that its loading, but it never loads. I have let it sit there for 20 minutes and still nothing at all. Every once in a while I can get to the dashboard, but as soon as I select anything (and I mean ANYTHING) it just freezes up like usual.

I have tried several different controllers so I know that the controllers aren't the problem, and the weird thing is that if I try to turn it off when it is frozen, I have to push the off button twice. It makes the audible beep sound both times I push it, so I know the button is working, it just takes two presses to turn it off.

Everything worked absolutely fine until I installed the new update, and ever since then it has just been fighting me every step of the way. I suspect that the update got corrupted somehow, but I have no way of reinstalling or deleting anything because I simply cannot navigate the dashboard (or do anything at all for that matter).

Also, I have the 4gb 360s console, and am using a 16gb flash drive in conjunction. I tried removing the flash drive thinking it was the problem, but the same exact thing still happens. So possibly my internal 4gb drive is corrupted, but Im not about to go buy a $120 250gb hard drive to test it out.

Basically I have given up for now, because my computer is very capable of running the latest games, so I have just moved to PC gaming. I have had nothing but problems with microsoft and their nickel and dime ways so it is time to move on.

I was so bummed having to spend $100 on a windows OS just to play games when ubuntu is better in almost every way, but thats the last microsoft product I will willingly buy.:mad:

7. Try calling M$. I'm sure they would have some answers to why.