New to therapy

Discussion in 'General' started by Aurora69, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I didn't know where else to put this, so here goes nothing!

Hey GC. A lot has been going on in my life lately and I've just started therapy sessions for depression/anxiety/other problems. However, it isn't exactly by choice. I agreed to try it, but I'm not sure if I want to keep going.

I've been depressed for years, but it isn't as bad as it used to be. For example, now I actually want to be alive most of the time. :eek: I'm not so sad as I used to be...But I'm definitely not happy and I definitely have some issues. I'm also very lonely, but that's not exactly pertinent. I'm just living a boring, monotonous life right now. I do not have a single hobby. But I'm keeping on, so to speak...I want to be happier, but I don't want to change my whole outlook on life as a result...If that makes sense. The first session was a bit awkward and extremely emotionally draining. I have never been one to talk about feelings, so I had a hard time explaining things. I didn't like it, but I think that's because of my anxiety.

Sorry for the rambling...I guess what I'm asking is if you all think therapy is worth my time? Does anybody have any good experiences with it? I just don't know whether or not to continue. :(

2. The truth is, only you can help yourself, and by that I am not trying to say that therapy is a bad thing; currently I'm using it to work through certain things in my own life. If you want things in your life to get better then you have to actively work at making them better. Face whatever demons you may have in your life- lying to a therapist is only lying to yourself.

You also mentioned that you have no hobbies. Can't you think of something that you are passionate about? Figure what that is, and turn it into something that you can do and improve at. Trust me, it adds a lot of meaning to life, and really passes the time.

Other than that, get outside and realize that everyday you're dying, so might as well enjoy the time that you've got :D

I've been in the shitter before, but trust me things will get good and they will get bad again too, and so on.

3. My suggestion, really let it out at therapy. If you can let it go, then healing can begin. It worked for me. I was bad off but now I've never been happier.

4. Parents made me go to therapy when they divorced, then I did not think not helped at all now I realized it did. Turns out if you move your family into the ghetto leave them with no cash and split to another country really fucks up the kids.

Don't be so quick to give up on it. Might not seem like it is helping now but it could be.

5. Id definately put everything into it. If I didnt leave feeling extremely angry and ready to break shit I came out with a lot of questions and feeling worse.

It can either be really good, or it may push you over the edge. Ive known people who got alot worse after finally opening up to a therapist.

6. Thanks everybody. I think I'll keep going and really try to open up...I'll see how that goes.