New to the forums, first time hydro grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MerDeVerdure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. #1 MerDeVerdure, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Hi, all! I'm new around here and looking to start my first hydro grow, bubbles only DWC, all stealthy-like. I've been reading for a while and placed a few orders for some supplies, still have a way to go... even a budget grow can get pricey. I picked up Apollo's smallest grow tent - 36" x 20" and 60" tall - easily big enough for two plants in 5 gal buckets. It's set up in my closet where it should be well shielded for noise and all that. I live by myself, but no sense pissing off the neighbors. Got the buckets, one of those whisper-quiet air pumps for a 60 gal that should put out plenty of air and a couple stones, 6" bucket top net pots and the Fox Farms trio of nutes - Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, and Big Bloom - not going to go too far overboard on mixing nutes right from the start. About to order a PH pen and adjuster solutions. I still have to get some growing media (planning on hydroton), rockwool cubes, air pump and filter, and lighting, then I should be good to go. I found a 100cfm duct fan that the reviews say is fairly quiet, and more than enough for a 25cf tent, and I'll be ordering an Odor-Sok for a filter. A vid I caught on YouTube had this great idea to use a cake transporter as a seed starter tray, so I picked one of those up and a flower pot liner from the dollar store. That saved me a few bucks. Strangely, I couldn't find rockwool at any of the garden centers around here. I'm not too worried about going around asking questions, as I have seeds for some tomatoes that will be my first test grow for a while to make sure I get the hang of things before moving on to the real deal.

So my questions at the moment are, well... I'm considering picking up a Feliz 250W CFL grow light, one fixture, and two bulbs (6500K and 2100K) that can be swapped at the correct time. This may not be the ideal amount of light, but on a budget it should do the trick for two plants, right?
    Second question - I'm using local tap water, what's a good way to dechlorinate enough water to change out my buckets? I really don't want to drop another $100+ on an RO system. Will this filter (links don't seem to be working - it's called a CleanWaterFun garden hose filter) be enough to get the levels down to acceptable? Or could I use an aquarium tap water conditioner? I've read that bubbling the water or letting it sit out gets rid of chlorine but not chloramine. Do the root systems ever get big enough that I'll have to worry about them overgrowing the air line and having trouble moving them from one bucket to the next?

Phew... I know I got long winded there, but thanks in advance for any advice.