New to tattoos?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by Jim Fear, May 21, 2012.

1. So im gettin my first tattoo june 9 and i need some answers on some questions

Im gettin it done from just below the knee to my ankle on the outside of my left leg.
    I wanna know :
    How long till it heals?
    How ddo i know if its healed?
    How do u shower first couple times with the bandage on?
    What is the pain comparable to? Ive had my lip peirced and ive had surgery and broken bones and shit so any compparisons would be nice

1991-_Holy_Wars_fc.jpg

Gettin this minus the megadeth logo and computers and the tattooer said he was thinking a little smoke around him to make it seem more evenly proportioned on my leg

2. Boney places hurt worse, but the pain isn't bad. Like scratching a sunburn! Should take two weeks to heal. First few days A&D it, then use unscented lotion for the next few days. Peeling is ok... dont leave the bandage on for long. Dont shower with the bandage, shower as normal, gently wash tattoo with a mild antibacterial soap, pat dry, A&D or lotion.

3. Stay out of the sun and away from the pool for awhile too!

4. Yea they told me to leave the bandage on for about 4 hours then take it off and clean it. I can't remember exactly but I think they told me not to use A&D? They gave me their product for free. Think it was called 'inked' or something.

5. No no no no. U don't need a bandage. Let it breathe. U can take showers just when u wash and dry that spot pat at it don't scrub or rub on it. And go buy yourself some aquaphor at any store rub that on it when the area around the tat feels dry. It's gonna peel but should only take maybe 3-4 days to fully heal

6. Takes a couple of weeks to fully heal.

DON'T PICK THE SCAB

Use A&D or A&E non-scented lotion twice a day for about a week then switch to once a day till its healed

You can shower no less than 2 hours from when you get it, don't just have water pouring on it but it won't get hurt if some water gets on it

It feel kind of good to me, the pain isn't an issue for me though its the fact that I have to sit still for so long

If I had to compare it I'd say its similar to a razor slicing your skin open but not very deep (I got into a little scarification, no I was not a cutter)

7. I take my bandage off after about 3 hours tops. Ill then either take a shower or just wash it in the sink with soap and then gently pat it dry. Use A&D when it seems dry. My leg sleeve im working on drips a lot too lol kinda gross but when it starts dripping and gettin all on my leg i wash it with water and reapply A&D. After a good 4 or 5 days of A&D i start using an unscented lotion for another 2 weeks. Applying lotion everyday to your tattoo tho will make it look better and fade slower.

As for pain its pretty much exactly how you would imagine it to feel. Like the pinch of a needle in your skin but vibrating and if youre gettin real shading done then like 11 needles at once :) I got 2 more sessions on my leg and a touch up and itll be done. Cant wait!

Be sure to post what you get done!

8. Ill be postin it for sure! i gottaget it done in 2 seshions though cuz i dont have all the money right now so im doin the outline and some shading now and the color a couple weeks after

9. #9 NeverBSatisfied, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
    A tattoo usually heals within a 2 week period, depending on how you take care of it and the precautions that is takin (no sun for 2 weeks and no swimming either! Major no-no. Also, don't pick your scabs!) A fully healed tattoo could take up to 3 weeks but 2 weeks is the average procedure.

It's a process. The first 3 days or so, you should take care of it and moisturize it with A&D ointment and keep up with it and don't let it dry out too much. After the 3 day period, you can stop with whatever ointment you're using and use un-scented lotions like Lubiderm (sp?) after that. The dead skin will eventually rise to the surface and flake for a couple days. That's normal as the tattoo is healing underneath and the natural colors will take form with the new and healed skin.

You don't. You simply leave the bandage on for 1 hour after your tattoo. After 1 hour, take the bandage off and pat your tattoo down with warm water. Non-scented soap preferred and pat down the access ink with a soft towel. Apply ointment immediately.

Everyone's different, but the best I've always described it is getting pricked with a pin-needle over and over again but with the mirage of a slight Indian burn being applied. Also depends on placement. Some parts of the skin are thinner than others and may burn and irritate more.