New to hydroponics, Help please =]

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Pasta-far-I, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Hello, well let me say I started off thinking I was gonna go with an aerogarden system, but then I decided for how much I get out of it, its much to small and doesnt provide quite enough. So I was looking around for a simple, single bucket aerogarden type of reservoir hydro system and I came across this

SH Hydroponics, Inc. > Bucketeer DWC Kit

Is this good for a beginner? Seems to have a fairly decent price and good size. Thats the whole system correct? Or does it require a reservoir?
    Sorry for all the questions, learning about all this so any information would be helpful!

Thank you!

2. Depending on shipping costs that seems fair

their ph control kit looks like garbage

maybe visit a local hydro shop and see if you can put it together cheaper if your handy. If not pickup a ph pen and some ph up/ down

ready set grow!

3. If you just want one.. it's not a bad deal. If you want several... use that as a parts list, and get a bigger air pump, and the buckets/lids/diffusers... etc. separately. I just put together 18... for around $800... But thats including a bunch of Fittings, Grommets, buckets and 6" netpot lids, 2 water pumps, 2 big ass air pumps, air stones, hose, and 2 reservoirs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the air stone,and pump in that system are below par. If you can put that thing together... you might just think about drilling the holes yourself too... cause thats really all they are doing for you.

4. Yea, I found a DIY bucket right after I posted this, I believe im gonna take a stab at it if it comes out cheaper than ordering this bucket. I believe I could make it just as clean and do the little things I want it to have.

My next question is, how do you get the seedlings after germination into those grow rocks?

Also, do you not let the water of the bucket touch mesh basket holding the grow rocks?

Thank you!

5. you need to look up germination 101...

you use a paper towel and once the seed cracks you stick that in rockwool(or some other medium) and place that inside of a humidity dome... that sits for about a week and then once the roots show you stick that in the hydroten... the hydroten must cover the rockwool, this is why you never see rockwool

or you can use rapid rooters... those are really cool and work fast, same thing though

and if you read the entire rumple sticky it will tell you where the water level should be

do not start growing until you read the entire sticky

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-*step-step*.html

6. I see that he has his fill up valve right under whre the bucket is, is this because the water is never really supposed to be in the growing rocks?

I will look up the germination for hydroponics because I am still confused.