New to Hydroponics, Got a couple questions...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tlandry, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I'm thinking I'm going to get a drip ring system for 6 plants. I'm thinking I'm gonna use coconut fiber or whatever it is called for the medium. I want to do this as cheap as I can, so I was thinking about buying a 20 gallon fish tank (I've heard 20 gal res for 6 plants) and make it light tight. Buy two bins, drill holes in them, and use them for drain trays. 3 plants for each tray. I'll have to make some kind of a wood brace to hold the trays above the resevouir. Will this system work? It seems like it would be the same thing as some models sold in hydroponic stores for much less... How does this system sound to you? I'm always open to new ideas as well...

Also, What size pump would I need? I guess I want it to kick on once every 24 hours?

How long would I want to power the pump from the timer for each day?

Would one pump send an equel amount of water to all six drip rings? Or would it even matter if some plants got more water than the others, as long as theres enough water to go completely through the coconut fiber in each pot?

Also, does anyone have a recomendation for a good, yet affordable PH/PPM meter?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it!

2. A rubbermaid storage container from any store is way cheaper than any fish tank, and is pretty much light proof. A fish tank is obviously far from light proof, and much more exspensive.

Youtube how to grow pot, and watch the Dr. Green series on how to grow pot. He basically has a step by step video on building an ebb&flow system which is basically what you are talking about. He also does it with mainly parts you can find at a local hardware store, for way cheaper than the pre-fab'd hydro units. Pretty much all your questions will be answered by watching those videos.

he does a few stupid things, but you will get the gist from him.

As far as a ph and ppm meter I got both of mine of ebay for about 15.00 for each. You only need to make sure that you can buy a 7.0 ph solution and a 1500 ppm nutrient solution calibration liquids. Both of these will allow you to keep your meters calibrated. You don't need to take super precise measurments, and the cheap ones will keep you within .05 of where you are actually at which is well enough for the type of measurements we do. And considering even the nicest pH pens that you will spend an arm and a leg on will eventually lose their calibrations too, there is no point in buying a nice one.

In my opinion you just need to read/learn more. You have a general understanding, but I don't think you are really there yet to be succesful at your grow. My first grow wasn't the dankest, or the largest yields, but it was succesful. Not trying to say I'm a great botanist or anything, I'm saying I read, and read, and read and read some more.