New to HPS/MH Some Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BlackWeeds, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hey GC,

I have started a small grow in a PC box, but I quickly decided to upsize, I am going for the following equipment

4x4x6.5 Grow tent
    4" inline Exhaust with Passive Intake from a window
    400W HPS MH with Winged reflector

I am getting all this for 430$ shipped.

My question is, What types of bulbs are for what stage?

I assume MH is for vegetative growth and that HPS is for flowering, is this correct? I'll also be turning my PC box into a clone room using the old CFL's (4x2700 4x6500 interchangeable)

The 400W kit only comes with the HPS bulb, will I need to buy a MH bulb right away, what is a good bulb for a low price and what do I look for when buying bulbs? Once again I'll assume that I want exactly 2700K and 6500K.. If I cheap out they are closer to 2100K and 4100K or something like that.

Educate me.. GO!

2. You can go from start to finish with just the HPS bulb... I've done it many times...:cool:

3. Oh cool, light cycle adjustments will be enough for the plants to switch I suppose eh?

4. you can go start to finish with a hps as benderbob said. but you are also correct, mh is best for veg. and hps is best for flowering. as for your hps light....im pretty sure you have to buy what is called a metal halide conversion bulb. a regular mh bulb wont work. also they make bulbs that are mh AND HPS but i dont know much about them.

5. Nice to see you again Black ;)

What I'm doing is getting CFL for my veg and using 400 watt hps for my flowering.
    You can do what Littletoast suggested as well but thought I'd drop by and give me 2 cents.

6. Sweet thanks guys. My supply seller gave me a deal on the MH bulb, got it for 15$ so I'll use the proper bulb for each stage. Existing CFLs will be used for lower bud sites, then eventually a clone box when I run out of seeds.

7. Yeah good idea. I made a thread earlier and people suggested getting a vented hood or cool tube instead of a winged reflector as heat might become an issue. It might be worth looking into.

8. Most of the discount 400 watt kits use a digital ballast, making conversion bulbs unnecessary. Just sayin...

9. Yeah unless your ballast has a HPS/MH switch you can't just use one bulb in another's ballast, even though it probably/may physically fit in the socket

10. [quote name='"Jmosley"']Yeah unless your ballast has a HPS/MH switch you can't just use one bulb in another's ballast, even though it probably/may physically fit in the socket[/quote]

Newer digital ballast don't necessarily have to have a switch. Read your specs. My digital 600w is mh/hps. Ie it can fire either bulb without doing anything other than changing a bulb.

11. all i know is when i ordered my 400 watt hps light from htg they had options for a metal halide conversion bulb with my package deal. so i choose it as my spare bulb.
    mine isnt digital though. its magnetic. if that bulb dont work....it better work.

12. Hrmm I'll have to save that bit of info for when i need to replace this one. And coming from someone who shares my name to boot. /been moses since I was like 14. .

Just be sure either way OP before plugging in and firing it up.I had my ballast set for hps, and put the MH bulb in. Didn't last long lol. Running HPS only has proven successful since then though fwiw.

13. Mine is digital too, here is the one I bought. I've also heard some people have heat issues with the winged reflector, I guess I'll see what happens. I real want to get a air cooled tube when I can afford it.