New To Growing Need Help ASAP (smoke a bowl and answer my questions)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TylerEChase, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Alright so heres what I got so far
    I made a OSB box 4x3 box thats 3 feet deep, the walls I painted white with proper paint. I am going to be using CFLs with a ghetto rigged reflective hood (ya im poor and i know it). then for "wind" im putting a mini fan in the box that I will rotate its spot weekly.

What I need help with is
    1. Nutrients??

- What in your opinion is the easiest for a noob to use, I was looking at using

Amazon.com: Fox Farm FX14049 Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom (Pack of 3 - 32 oz. bottles): Patio, Lawn & Garden

And loosely following the feeding schedule found here
    http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/FoxFarm-Soil-Schedule.pdf

The only reason I dont really want to use them is because I want to start growing ASAP like this weekend, I was gonna hit a hydro store up this afternoon and hope they have fox farm, BUT if they dont I dont really wanna wait the time for the nutes to get shipped here. what do you guys think I should use if thats the case. Like im talking the easiest/cheapest solution????
    This is the website of the store Im gonna go to
    Ballast | Hortilux | Lumatek | Grow Lights | Grow Shop | Hydroponics | Hydroponic Store | Indoor Garden | Garden Supplies | Plant Nutrients | Bellevue Kirkland

2. Soil
    WHAT THE HELL DO I USE!??!?!
    I have read many conflicting forum posts about what I should be useing.
    Im pretty poor so it would be cool if someone could lemme know of a good starting brand thats decently priced.

3. Water
    For watering what do I have do exactly?
    I have read that you should used distilled water, and when adding nutrients add them into the water first before mixing. Then you water until you see that the water is coming out from drainage holes.

4. Venting
    Do I need to rig up ventilation for my small box? I was reading that a area this small could just be vented with a hole in the side of the box and leaveing the door open while i take temp readings and look for pests and such.

those are my starter questions I have a butt ton more but im tired its 3am and Ima hit the hay. Sorry if this is worded weirdly Im pretty tired/medicated so ya thanks for taking the time to read and answered my shit

2. dont rush your shit when you dont know shit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 BYOweed, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    1. Answered you own question, Foxfarm nute trio is used by many.

2. Foxfarm light warrior is better for seedlings, Foxfarm Ocean forest is a little hot, but works fine. Also, Roots Organic is a great soil. I prefer it over FFOF.

3. I buy water jugs or bottles of water. Water in solo cups when the top 1/4 " of soil is completely dry. It's important to let the soil dry out before you water again. For seedlings, it's more important to make sure the soil isn't bone dry before watering again. I found I have to water once a day in the solo cups.

4. Your talking about an Inline duct fan. You'll need to make a 4" hole, and get a fan, 150-200 CFMs.
    Fresh air is important to a plant. I would definitely look into this: http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponics-I...348230513&sr=8-3&keywords=4"+inline+ducts+fan. It comes with a Carbon Filter which you will need when you begin to flower.

baumeister: "dont rush your shit when you dont know shit."

^This is not needed. We were all there, no need to discourage fellow blades.

4. Royal Gold Basement
    Roots Organic (not the 707)
    FFOF

In that order for dirt. Roots is a little hot now too since they changed the formula (and took out the oyster shale).

5. Fox Farms Happy Frog is awesome, I add my own perlite and other organic soil amendments and don't have to worry about nutrients (well, may hit 'em with an AACT if it looks like they need it.) The organic way is awesome, check out the organic section for tips. You will save alot of money in the long run and have nice crops.

You could just start your seeds, let your soil cook while they grow up in a cup of Light Warrior or Happy Frog. When its time to transplant, do it into that soil, and if they look deficient in a few weeks hit 'em with a home brewed AACT.

It seems like alot of work but its the easiest in the long run, its easier to not burn your plants, you don't have to worry about PH, your plants will smell and taste amazing, you won't have to wonder when to nute, etc.

6. Thank you guys for all the answers ya'll are awesome

7. You probably won't have to start offering them nutes for a while. To start up all you'll need is a light, a pot,some soil a seed or a clone and distilled water.

Don't waste your time growing with any old seed you found in your nug. You want to order good seeds from reputable seed banks, or if you're medical you can buy clones/seeds from local dispensaries.

Do a lot of research and plan ahead, don't rush into growing too much. It is a long term commitment and hastily starting will overall impede you more than anything.

Good to have you on the city, best of luck!
    :wave:

8. Happy Frog is cheaper than the others, comes in a larger bag too. I mix it with 5 gal perlite and various amendments, works out to 2 bags of OF for less than half the price. My blueberry scrog is using that mix with zero problems, no bottled nutrients.

9. 1. Fox Farm seems to be highly used. Grab a bottle of Cal-Mag as well. I used Advanced Nutrients now. For your nute sced...once every 5-7 days. Other times just plain water. Ph balance it all. You wont need to feed you plants for the first 3 weeks or so the soil will have all it needs.

2. Fox Farm Ocean Soil or Pro Mix cant go wrong with either.

You always add the nutes to the water. If not your plants will be toast. YOu add to the water, ph balance it then feed the plant.

3. Tap water works fine. Some of the nazis on here will tell you to use this or that but tap water is fine.

10. i use roots organic for 2 first weeks this grow and the growth is insane, so mixing FFOF with Roots organic today in 5 gallon pots, only issue ive seen with roots organics, it is low PH for runoff, but no ill effects to plants as of yet

Hydro store was out of roots organic or i would of went with it the entire grow, just put em right into bag, and not worry about pots